cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to instrument Redis via APM with Java agents to get a visual representation of transactions?

Fred.Butz
Creator

I know there is an extension for Redis metrics, but is it possible to instrument Redis via APM using java agent or other agent to get a visual representation of the transcations as you do with any .net or standard java application? I'm not seeing that you can.

4 REPLIES 4

Allan.Schiebold
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi. According to what I'm seeing, Redis is written in C, so we could not instrument it with an APM agent. 

I understand that instrumentation of redis itself is not possible as it is written in "C".

But isn´t it possible to see redis calls as a "Remote Service" like Kafka-Topics, HTTP-Requests or called Webservices to get generell statistics for these calls (calls, errors, resp-time) gathered by the java-agent?

Maybe there is a way to add manual instrumentation for this?

I have an app built with SpringBoot and Spring Cache Abstraction, using Redis through Lettuce. I need to monitor via APM AppDynamics tool, but by default it only gets data from Jedis. I can create an exit point in AppDynamics, but I need to know exactly which class and method is responsible for opening the connection and executing commands to REDIS. Can anyone help me with this issue?