Review the checklist below to troubleshoot EUM data issues. :
Browser RUM Metrics Not Reported
No EUM metric data
Pages Not Monitored (partial loss of browser request monitoring)
- No EUM Account License Key
The EUM account license is separate from the Controller license. Although the license file includes the EUM license key, the EUM account license is provisioned separately. Controllers cannot share a EUM license key, but applications can. If you need a EUM license, call your AppDynamics sales representative or email email@example.com.
- Controller reporting "Your account is not currently licensed for End User Monitoring"
Sometimes we see license reporting accounts that do not have EUM accounts, even when the EUM license is correctly provisioned via a license on the Controller and EUM server. This is mostly due to communication issues where the Controller is never able to sync the EUM license from the EUM server and report, as we don’t have a EUM license on the License screen.
- Review the Controller’s server.log to see if there is a connection issue between the Controller and EUM server when the Controller trying to sync the EUM license. Some common issues are outlined here.
- Browser RUM Does Not Work in Production
If you are running more than one Controller, each instance requires a unique license. You cannot use the same license on more than one Controller.
- Account not provisioned on EUM server
When a new EUM license is issued, it needs to be provisioned on the EUM server and get synced on the Controller. Otherwise, the EUM will reject the Controller’s requests for metric download. To provision EUM licenses for each Controller account:
- Log in to your EUM Server.
- Change to the directory with the script for provisioning licenses: $> cd $EUM_HOME/eum-processor
- Provision each license, one at a time, on the EUM Server by running the following command: $> ./bin/provision-license.sh <P ATH_TO_EUM_LICENSE>
- Controller setting pointing to wrong EUM SAAS environment
- In the case of the hybrid environment, where the controller is on-prem and EUM is on the AppD SAAS environment. Make sure the controller settings pointing the EUM SAAS/Analytics SAAS endpoint correctly base on the region where the EUM account is provisioned. Pointing to the wrong region would lead to a 401 Auth error.
- To verify if the automatic or assisted injection is enabled, see: Injection Problems
- Various caches (e.g. server page, CDN or browser caches) can prevent the page from being reloaded.
Browser RUM Metrics Not Reported
- Check for Load
Make sure there is a load running on your app for the pages that you want to monitor for the selected period. When Browser RUM discovers a new page, iFrame, or Ajax call for the first time, data will not immediately display in the Controller UI. For details, see: Check for Load
- Confirm Browser RUM Is Enabled
Make sure Browser RUM is enabled for the app: Enable and Disable Browser Monitoring
- Check Connectivity
Make sure there is connectivity from the browser to the EUM Cloud. To verify connectivity, run this command from your browser: https://api.eum-appdynamics.com/eumaggregator/ping
- If you get a "ping" in the window, you should be able to connect to the EUM Cloud.
- If you are using IE on a Windows system, make sure the browser itself does not have a proxy (with authentication) set up. If it does, the test link may work but not the actual connection.
- Examine Beacons for Issues
If beacons are not present or their status is invalid, verify your Browser RUM configuration. To examine your instrumented application, verify the following:
- The EUM beacon is sent as outlined here.
- For additional troubleshooting related to beacons, including length limitations, see: Examine Beacons
- Use the Web Browser’s Developer Tools to Examine Your Application
Create a HAR file to confirm that the browser is downloading the expected resources for your web page. For instructions and example screenshots, see: Use Developer Tools to Examine Your Application.
No EUM metrics
- Connection issue between the Controller and EUM server
The Controller polls the EUM server for metrics and crash reports every minute. If this communication is down, you will not see any EUM metrics on the account level. The whole EUM application will lose EUM metrics. Common communication issues are outlined here.
- Metric limits
EUM monitoring for new requests can get dropped if one of these metric limits gets hit:
- metric.registration.limit – The maximum number of metrics that can be registered for an account in the Controller. The default is 2 million.
- application.metric.registration.limit – The maximum number of metrics that can be registered for a business application in the Controller. The default is 1 million.
- appdynamics.controller.eum.otherMobile.metricsCount.limit - The maximum number of metrics that can be registered for web browser requests per application in the Controller. The default is 100000.
- appdynamics.controller.eum.otherWeb.metricsCount.limit - The maximum number of metrics that can be registered for mobile network requests per application in the Controller. The default is 100000. For additional instructions, see Should I alter the Metrics Count Limit in my EUM server?
Pages Not Monitored — partial loss of browser request monitoring
- Verify Pages Have Been Injected
- Check Exclude Rules
If the agent has been injected, the page may not be monitored due to custom exclude rules. Review and modify custom exclude rules following the steps and screenshots here: Check Exclude Rules
- Check Automatic Injection Configuration to see if certain pages were excluded
If you used automatic injection, check your automatic injection configuration to see if the missing pages are enabled for injection: Check Automatic Injection Configuration
Below are potential connection issues you may experience that are also related to licensing and EUM metric problems.
- Connect refused
This indicates a network firewall or proxy issue. Please check with the network admin.
- 401 Auth Error
Check if Controller has the right access key to access EUM.
- Go to Admin.jsp > Controller settings
- Search for appdynamics.es.eum.key
- Make sure the value of property appdynamics.es.eum.key matches the property analytics.accountAccessKey in the <EUM_HOME>/bin/eum.properties file on the EUM server.
- SSL error
This happens when the Controller is trying to connect to a secured EUM server. If you see PKIX path building failed in the Controller server.log, the Controller trust store does not have the EUM client certificate and the validation failed. For steps to resolve this, see: Troubleshoot EUM Certificate Errors
- Controller-EUM incompatibility Issues
A EUM server can not be of lesser version than the Controller. It should be the same version or higher. If necessary, upgrade your EUM server.
If you need additional assistance, contact AppDynamics support with the information outlined here.