Click the Start a free trial link to start a 15-day SaaS trial of our product and join our community as a trial user. If you are an existing customer do not start a free trial.
AppDynamics customers and established members should click the sign in button to authenticate.
I found a useful option:
described at the Instrument JVMs in a Dynamic Environment page. I have a few questions on it:
- Does this option result in nodes disappearing from the GUI immediately on JVM shutdown?
- Does this option mean that once the JVM is shut down, it'll send a request to the controller to mark it as historical?
- What is the version of the Java Agent which introduced this? I do not see it listed in the release notes. It does not seem to be working with agent 4.0.4
- Should it be listed on the Java Agent Configuration Properties page? It is not
The way the controller handles historical nodes is documented here: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Historical+and+Disconnected+Nodes
This node property was introduced in v3.7
I will file a ticket to consolidate this information and mention the node property on the properties page.
Does this option result in nodes disappearing from the GUI immediately on JVM shutdown?
- yes, the node will disappear from the jvm immediately after the jvm shutdown.
Does this option mean that once the JVM is shut down, it'll send a request to the controller to mark it as historical?
-yes, when we shut down the JVM then the node stops reporting to the controller and it will be marked as historical.
Plesae refer to the below link
>> Does this option result in nodes disappearing from the GUI immediately on JVM shutdown?
> yes, the node will disappear from the jvm immediately after the jvm shutdown.
That doesn't seem to match what I'm seeing. Our applications are using this option with Java Agent 4.0.4. When we stop the application, they are still visible in the "Tiers & Nodes" page with a App Agent Status of 0% for 6 hours (our setting for node.retention.period).
So, this suggests either:
- this -Dappdynamics.jvm.shutdown.mark.node.as.historical=true is not working. (Is there a way I can identify whether a node is historical?)
- that historical nodes don't immediately disappear
The behavior I'm seeing is working well - JVMs disappear after node.retention.period hours, but I'm still confused as to what's going on this this flag. It seems like the option does not work in 4.0.4 of the agent.
Historical nodes do not disappear until the node retention period has expired, as documented here: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Historical+and+Disconnected+Nodes