Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"appdynamics.jvm.shutdown.mark.node.as.historical" flag details

edahl
Producer

I found a useful option:

‑Dappdynamics.jvm.shutdown.mark.node.as.historical=true

described at the Instrument JVMs in a Dynamic Environment page. I have a few questions on it:

- Does this option result in nodes disappearing from the GUI immediately on JVM shutdown?

- Does this option mean that once the JVM is shut down, it'll send a request to the controller to mark it as historical?

- What is the version of the Java Agent which introduced this? I do not see it listed in the release notes. It does not seem to be working with agent 4.0.4

- Should it be listed on the Java Agent Configuration Properties page? It is not

Thanks,

Eric

4 REPLIES 4

Peter.Holditch

Eric,

The way the controller handles historical nodes is documented here: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Historical+and+Disconnected+Nodes

This node property was introduced in v3.7

I will file a ticket to consolidate this information and mention the node property on the properties page.

Warm regards,
Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Atyuha.Pal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Eric,

Does this option result in nodes disappearing from the GUI immediately on JVM shutdown?

- yes, the node will disappear from the jvm immediately after the jvm shutdown.

Does this option mean that once the JVM is shut down, it'll send a request to the controller to mark it as historical?

-yes, when we shut down the JVM then the node stops reporting  to the controller and it will be marked as historical.

Plesae refer to the below link 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Instrument+JVMs+in+a+Dynamic+Environment

Thanks,

Atyuha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

>> Does this option result in nodes disappearing from the GUI immediately on JVM shutdown?

> yes, the node will disappear from the jvm immediately after the jvm shutdown.

That doesn't seem to match what I'm seeing. Our applications are using this option with Java Agent 4.0.4. When we stop the application, they are still visible in the "Tiers & Nodes" page with a App Agent Status of 0% for 6 hours (our setting for node.retention.period).

So, this suggests either:

- this -Dappdynamics.jvm.shutdown.mark.node.as.historical=true is not working. (Is there a way I can identify whether a node is historical?)

- that historical nodes don't immediately disappear

The behavior I'm seeing is working well - JVMs disappear after node.retention.period hours, but I'm still confused as to what's going on this this flag. It seems like the option does not work in 4.0.4 of the agent.

Thanks,

Eric

Historical nodes do not disappear until the node retention period has expired, as documented here: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Historical+and+Disconnected+Nodes