cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Escaping control codes in HTTP Request Templates

Hi.

I'm trying to pass Appdynamics error data to Opsgenie using the HTTP Request Templates to format it in JSON.

My simplest template is :

{
"event_name": "${latestEvent.displayName}",
"event_Message":"${latestEvent.eventMessage}",
}

But this is erroring at Opsgenie because there's a Line Feed in the event message :

The content is not a valid json. Reason: Illegal unquoted character ((CTRL-CHAR, code 10)): has to be escaped using backslash to be included in string value at [Source: (String)"{ "event_name": "Business Transaction Error", "event_Message":"

Is there an easy way to escape/replace this in the template?

Thanks

Doug McGibbon

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Douglas.McGibbon,

An existing Community post, Escaped double quotes in HTTP template links to this reference guide: https://velocity.apache.org/tools/2.0/apidocs/org/apache/velocity/tools/generic/EscapeTool.html

Please do let me know if you find the post or the reference guide helpful. Since this is a peer-to-peer community, if you happen to find a solution, please come back and share it as a reply to your post. This helps keep the knowledge sharing going forward.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Yes, I found that post and the guide, but it's not at all clear. And replacing one character with another is much easier than trying to get rid of a control character.  I've already spent several hours trying to do this in various ways, to no avail.

Hi There

We have done the following in one of our templates, to ensure that the Quotes and line breaks etc. are replaced by other characters. We used *. You can modify and replace it with whatever you require.

You can then add as many processing steps as needed at the start of the template, and then use the final processed message that is left over into your template.

#set ($em = ${latestEvent.eventMessage.replace('"','*')})
#set ( $em = $em.replace('<b>', '*') )
#set ( $em = $em.replace('</b>', '*') )
#set ( $em = $em.replace('<br>', ' ') )

{
"event_Message":"$em",
}

Otherwise you can remove the values completed as below

#set ($em = ${latestEvent.eventMessage.replace('"','')})
#set ( $em = $em.replace('<b>', '') )
#set ( $em = $em.replace('</b>', '') )
#set ( $em = $em.replace('<br>', '') )

{
"event_Message":"$em",
}

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A