cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License count per application

With a SAAS controler, how can i get a clear report of how many licences are consumed by application ? I dont need the speed dials that tell me how many licenses are consumed total.

What i need is the license count per actual application that i have created in appDynamics. We need this to figure out what is the cost per application.

Any ideas ?

22 REPLIES 22

Brian.Wheeldon
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

There's a very nice license report generator on Github that produces an Excel spreadsheet that meets your needs and more.

Attaching an example of the output report, generated using a script like this:

#!/bin/bash

_DATE=`date "+%Y-%m-%d"`
_FILE=demo1_LicenseCount_${_DATE}.xlsx

echo Creating the report ${_FILE}

java -Xmx1024m -cp "execLib/*" org.appdynamics.licensecount.CountLicenses -cdemo1.appdynamics.com -P443 -usome_user -p<not_this_password> -acustomer1 -s -i15 -n -f ${_FILE}

Brian Wheeldon, Solution Engineer, NYC

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

virender.gulia
Creator

Hi 

Did you find out how to do this?

I am also trying to calculate license usage per application.

Thanks

Virender

Hi,

The report at: https://github.com/Appdynamics/AppDLicenseCount works well with the default options BUT when you generate the report for a period over 7 days then the numbers are no longer accurate.

I asked the developer about it and am awaiting new information

Are there any plans to incorporate this functionality into the GUI itself?

I'd also be interested in seeing license usage at a Tier level as well as App.

No there has been no huge demand to report License count per application in GUI.  As per seeing license usage at a Tier level, you can actually go to the application flow diagram and see how many java agents etc. are being used for the time span you're interested in.

Radhika.Puthiyetath
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Thanks, @Brian.Wheeldon @Brian.Wheeldon

Hi @frederic.poirier and @edahl

We also recommend referring to the following KB articles for more information on Licenses:

How does AppDynamics license consumption work?

What are some best practices for license management?

How do I check my license usage at the account level?

Hope it helps.

I think getting the license usage per application is extremely useful not sure why there is no demand when I spoke to many customer in the conference they did the say the same.

So how do i run this on SAAS ? Thats what the question is about from the beginning.

You should be able to just click on the cog wheel in the top-right hand corner, then click on "Licenses" and see how many you have and how many are taken up by all your agents. If you want it slightly more broken down such as what agents you have out there on which servers, you can click on the cog wheel and then "AppDynamics Agents," but it takes a little more clicking around. If you don't see "Licenses" or "AppDynamics Agents" when you click on the cog wheel you need your Controller admin to give you the correct permissions.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.