cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash with javaagent

AJAY_K
Wanderer

I get exception while running with javaagent and no information is sent to controller from javaagent. I've attached log file from applicationserver and javaagent

My application server log file has below exception...

Running obfuscated agent
Registered app server agent with Node ID[8] Component ID[11] Application ID [7]

Could not start Java Agent, Disabling !!!!!java.lang.NullPointerException ,Please check log files
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.readJavaFormatString(FloatingDecimal.java:1838)
    at sun.misc.FloatingDecimal.parseDouble(FloatingDecimal.java:110)
    at java.lang.Double.parseDouble(Double.java:538)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.services.gcvisibility.e.e(e.java:327)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.services.B.a(B.java:54)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.services.y.f(y.java:175)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.services.y.d(y.java:147)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.services.y.c(y.java:138)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.services.y.allServicesStarted(y.java:82)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.bm.c(bm.java:360)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.m.start(m.java:147)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.JavaAgent.initialize(JavaAgent.java:510)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.JavaAgent.initialize(JavaAgent.java:308)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.AgentEntryPoint$1.run(AgentEntryPoint.java:647)

And agent log file has below exception

[Thread-21] 20 Feb 2018 16:14:02,152  WARN AgentConfigWatchdog - Error in initializing from app-agent-config.xml
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.config.xml.a.a(a.java:474)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.config.xml.a.d(a.java:432)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.config.xml.a.doOnChange(a.java:123)
    at com.singularity.util.org.apache.log4j.helpers.FileWatchdog.checkAndConfigure(FileWatchdog.java:87)
    at com.singularity.util.org.apache.log4j.helpers.FileWatchdog.<init>(FileWatchdog.java:59)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.config.xml.a.<init>(a.java:101)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.config.xml.e.d(e.java:369)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.config.xml.e.<init>(e.java:168)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.m.start(m.java:112)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.JavaAgent.initialize(JavaAgent.java:510)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.kernel.JavaAgent.initialize(JavaAgent.java:308)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
    at com.singularity.ee.agent.appagent.AgentEntryPoint$1.run(AgentEntryPoint.java:647)

I'm not sure if these are related.

8 REPLIES 8

Peter.Holditch

Looking at your agent log, the agent is reporting successfully to the controller.

The exception does suggest however that the agent is having trouble parsing its app-agent-config.xml file.

Has that file got corrupted in some way?  Can you post it here?

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thanks for your prompt response.

I've attached app-agent-config.xml from ver4.4.1.0\conf folder. I've not made any changes to this so this should be same as default one. But I have renamed extension from xml to txt as this forum doesn't allow uploading xml file.

Based on the below exception, do you know which field in app-agent-config.xml I should look for?

[Thread-21] 20 Feb 2018 16:14:02,152  WARN AgentConfigWatchdog - Error in initializing from app-agent-config.xml
    at com.singularity.util.org.apache.log4j.helpers.FileWatchdog.checkAndConfigure(FileWatchdog.java:87)

Ajay,

The exception in your agent log is benign (which is why the fact that it is logged got missed - this is fixed in the next version.

The exception in your stdout, however, seems to indicate that the agent cannot obtain the value of the "java.specification.version" system property.

Could you please open a support case and support can work through this issue with you in more depth.

Warm regards,

Peter

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Thanks Peter. I'm evaluating your software and I don't have support contract with AppDynamics yet.

You may right that it's failing because of misssing system property expected by javaagent.

I tried passing "java.specification.version" as system property while starting my application but still get the same error. So it may be some other system property which I can not figure out.

If there is no other suggestion, I'll stop my evaluation here.

Hi Ajay,

Did you solve the problem as i have the same exception and my controller did show any data.

FYI my Controller is SAAS

Thanks,

M.ElGazzar

No, sorry. I wasn't able to solve it. My best guess is the java agent is expecting some system property that's not populated from my java application. I was advised to work with AppDyanmic support which I wasn't able to.

Did you mean you see data in controller even with this exception?

Yes, but i can see the data now but still have the same this exception in my logs.

Thanks,

Mostafa ElGazzar

Which exception can you see?

The one I have pasted below is benign, and you can ignore it.  It will be fixed in the next agent release.