cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Dexter

Joshua.Loos
Explorer

Trying to use Dexter to fetch data and having an authorization error.  Below is the target section of the job.json file I am using...  Not sure what format to use for the username.. The sample I found suggests username@customer, so I tried[Redacted] (my username and customer name), but that doesn't work, so I tried several other possible ways and the logs still show authorization error.

"Target":
    [
        {
            "Controller": "https://[Redacted].saas.appdynamics.com/ ",
            "UserName": "[Redacted]",
            "UserPassword": "",
            "Application": ".*",
            "NameRegex": false
        }
    ]

^ Post edited by @Ryan.Paredez to redact Controller name and usernames. Please do not share Controller URLs and Usernames on community posts for security and privacy reasons.

12 REPLIES 12

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Joshua,

The username has to be in STRING format and you need to pass it as the Username of the user to use to connect to Controller in @ format.

appdexter@customer1 for user named appdexter and for single-tenant on-premises Controller

appddexter@saastenant for user named appdexter in SaaS Controller

For Example:

"UserName": "username@customer1",

Where customer1 is the value of Name parameter in your license screen accounts tab. Refer to the below screenshot for clarity:

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 12.44.30 PM.png

Hope this helps. Do let me know in case you have further queries. 

Thank You,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried that. I tried "[Redacted]" since my username is "josh.loos" and "conduent" is our account name.  I still get an unauthorized error.  To make sure the controller URL is correct, I changed it to a wrong URL and get a different error.. so when it is the correct URL, it seems it can hit the controller but then fails on the username.

-Josh

^ Post edited by @Ryan.Paredez to redact usernames. Please do not share usernames on community posts for security and privacy reasons.

hi, what information are you trying to extract. I might be able to help as I've got an app that uses the APis to extract data - see goo.gl/1TDg9u

kind regards
Sunil

Hi Josh,

Is this still an issue? If yes we would like to have an update on the status and help this get resolved. Well the thing is when using dexter, You must specify a user as username@account name

https://github.com/Appdynamics/AppDynamics.DEXTER/wiki/Job-File#username-string

So if your user is CREAdmin@somethingrather, where if you are on-prem, something rather is most likely "customer1", and if you are saas, it is your account name (you can always verify this from the controller's license screen, Account tab, "Name" parameter value).

So assuming you are on an on-prem setup, can you try with "josh.loos@customer1" and see if that works. 

If however, your account name is conduent only, what happens if you just try with, "[Redacted]" as username, does it do any good?

Let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Chitra

^ Post edited by @Ryan.Paredez to redact usernames. Please do not share usernames on community posts for security and privacy reasons.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

I just tried Dexter and ran into the same login problem. I have a SAAS controller at my company and when I normally login to the AppD UI through a browser I just enter the account name and get directed to an internally managed LDAP authentication page before getting logged into the UI.

I was also given a separate login/password to use for the REST API which works fine to make REST calls but it doesn't seem to work with Dexter. I assume the login I was provided for the REST API would work with Dexter but it doesn't seem to and I don't know what else I could try.

For the REST API I can do:

curl --user <user>@<account>:<passw> https://<account>.saas.appdynamics.com/controller/rest/...

The same credentials don't work with Dexter. I've tried all the combinations I can think of between my REST credentials and LDAP credentials but can't get authenticated.

After some digging through the log files, I noticed it was getting a connection refused error. The documentation says it will use system proxy settings but that apparently isn't working and the error returned from the dexter process seemed to clearly indicate an authentication issue with my user name and/or password. Once I explicitly added proxy settings to the AppDynamics.Dexter.exe.config file it started working.

Just a thought, You could have a look at dexter code on github to see what its doing thats different.
kind regards
Sunil

Daniel.Odievich
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hello there,

If you are using SAML or LDAP, those types of accounts do not work for REST API and thus for DEXTER. This is documented here https://github.com/Appdynamics/AppDynamics.DEXTER/wiki/Job-File#username-string