cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jenkins build fails (app:clean fails because of appdynamics_eum_android_bci.log)

gabic
Creator

Hi, 

My first post so I hope I put it in the right place

Context: An Android mobile app which integrates with AppDynamics fails to build.

My issue is: whenever I try to build the app in Jenkins (our CI system), it fails when attepmting to execute the app:clean task.

:app:clean FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':app:clean'.
> Unable to delete file: <path_to_app_workspace>\app\build\appdynamics_eum_android_bci.log

I also noticed that the same thing happens when first attempting to build locally (from Android Studio)

However subsequent local builds are OK. So maybe it is related to how AppDynamics links this file? (on first build the file was not previously there, so I'm guessing AppDynamics is creating it, and somehow keeps a lock over it?)

Does anyone have any hints on these?

Is there any other info that might be usefull in getting this addressed?

Or alternatively, is there a possibility to disable the generation/usage of the appdynamics_eum_android_bci.log file?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Gabic,

Is your's a windows machine? Can you please tell me what is the version of agent that you are using? This issue, failure to delete appdynamics_eum_android_bci.log during Clean operation was fixed in 4.2.8 version of agent. Can you please try updating the version of agent and see how it goes. 

JFI, To solve this issue in Android Studio build, it has to be shutdown to allow the file appdynamics_eum_android_bci.log to be deleted. 

Hope this helps.  Let me know in case you have further queries. 

Thank You,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi clal, thanks for your answer.

Yes it is a windows machine.

In the build.gradle i see

compile 'com.appdynamics:appdynamics-runtime:4.4.0.440'

Is this the version you are mentioning?

I also see a reference to 

apply plugin: 'adeum'

But I'm not sure how to check the version on this one.

Will keep looking into the version you mentioned

Thanks alot!

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Gabic,

I was talking about the android agent version that must be using. If you are already on 4.2.8.x or the latest version, can you please send me your build.gradle file? 

Also, since you are on windows, a work around is to use something like Process Explorer to identify the java process which is using this file and then kill the java process, before running the clean. Also this doesn't occur on other platforms like Mac.

Also, Regarding the other query; your build line:

apply plugin: 'adeum'

is not supported, as our plugin only supports instrumenting apps, not libraries. We only support constructs like the following:

apply plugin: 'com.android.application'

The only kinds of builds we instrument are those whose target is an APK. Please let me know the details if this is not useful from your point of view.

Thanks,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Gaurav.Soni
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi,

This looks like a known issue. What version of mobile agent are you using?

Regards,

Gaurav Soni

Gaurav.Soni
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi,

This looks like a known issue. What version of mobile agent are you using?

Regards,

Gaurav Soni

Ummm, how can I check what version of mobile agent I'm using?

Thanks

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Gabic,

There are a couple of ways to find this out; pick the one that works best for you : 

1. If you have access to the dev environment, you can look at the console log, and it prints out the agent version on startup.
  2. If you have a way of monitoring the mobile beacons (you would have to unzip them), one of the JSON properties is the agent version.

Thanks,

Chitra