cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WCF calls in Asp.net monitoring

Hello,

How can I get wcf calls monitored by asp.net monitoring? Problem is that all wcf calls are displayed under two or three call like RESTService.JsonRequest(), but there is lot of calls with different url. Wcf autodiscovery maps them all under RESTService.xxx calls.. It can't separate them by url. Calls are however separated by url in snapshot list. That is why I would like to disable wcf monitoring and watch only asp.net calls. The wcf calls should be visible in asp.net monitoring. How can I do that?

Esko

5 REPLIES 5

Ashish.Singh
AppDynamics Team

Hi Esko,

By default, the AppDynamics auto-detection naming scheme identifies all WCF transactions using the service name and operation name: 

ServiceName.OperationName

For example, a web service for a travel website books reservations from client front ends: "TravelService.BookTravel". For more details, you can refer to the below section and document

Automatic Naming for WCF Transactions

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/WCF+Entry+Points

From the following details "Problem is that all wcf calls are displayed under two or three call like RESTService.JsonRequest()".Looks like RESTService is a service name and JsonRequest is a method name and from the following sentence "there is a lot of calls with different URL", Are you trying to access or invoking this WCF service from different asp.net applications URL? If yes, do you see the different BTs for those application's URL and Exit call?

OR, there are different -2 WCF URLs in which you have the same Service name and Method name? Could you please confirm.

Also, if you do not want to identify service as WCF service and want to identify as an asp.net URL and transaction, you can disable the WCF Transaction Monitoring Enabled and Discover Transactions automatically for WCF requests. For reference see the attached screenshot.

Let us know if you have any question.

Thanks,

Ashish.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

I tried according to your instructions, so that wcf monitoring is off and asp.net monitoring is on with autodiscovery. Asp.net autodiscovery don't find any transactions. When I look at with browser's network monitoring tool it shows me request url like:

https://utu-ht.tulli.fi/utufrontend/RESTService.svc/IB400A

When I switch wcf monitoring on with autodiscovery, then I can see merely RESTService.JSONrequest in transaction list. When I open that line in list, I can see snapshots listed according to url. Those urls are just like one above. 

Why wcf match rule don't have splitting posibility? If I could make splitting according to url, this would't be problem at all. Wcf-call snapshots are anyway arranged according to url.

Has this been resolved? What was the outcome? I have a similar issue with IIS web service

Hi @Esko.Jaakkola  @Paul.Mateos 

When you invoke the WCF service call from any of the parent applications ( or UPStream ), this invoked WCF service call will be a part of the BT only, you will not see any of the new BT registered.

InCase, there is no instrumented UPStream application is present and you are  directly instrumenting and calling the WCF service URL, so in this case, you would see the BT related to the downstream WCF service ( OOTB discovery)

Regarding the BT discovery part:

As you are seeing the BT name as "RESTService.JSONrequest", it points that the service name is RESTService and the Method name is "JSONrequest"

Currently, for WCF there is no Split condition available you can only configure with the multiple match condition on the service name as well as the Method name.

Could you please help us with the exact use case are looking for For example 

1. Different BT registration based on each different WCF URLs

2. Snapshot for each of the WCF URLs execution separately 

OR

3. would like to see the count of each WCF service URL invoked.

For Example

Count of -> https://utu-ht.tulli.fi/utufrontend/RESTService.svc/IB400A 

Count of  -> https://utu-ht.tulli.fi/utufrontend/RESTService.svc/IB400B 

Thanks,

Ashish.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hello,

We got solution for that from AppDynamics support. It was like this:

In a match rule define:

Match class: class name equals: System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelHandler

Method name: equals: HandleRequest

Transaction splitting: Split: Class/Method: Parameter index: 0, GetterChain: RequestMessage.Headers.To.AbsolutePath