cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Net CORE 6 - Implementing AppDynamics

I'm going to implement AppDynamics to a .net core 6 rest api, and I can't get a successful connection.

I followed the steps from the link below:
https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/22.x/latest/en/application-monitoring/install-app-ser[…]agent/inst...

What I notice is a single line in the profiler log and nothing else

2022-10-10 15:55:33.258255[0x00001b94]<info>:Use CoreCLR profiler

With that type of log, I can't even infer if it's a connection issue or an implementation issue.
Is there a demo project for visual studio, a sample to base on?

9 REPLIES 9

Ok, finally I've got it to start creating other log files which brings a couple of conclutions and  questions:

1. For the  profilers environment variables I had to use FULL PATHs
"CORECLR_PROFILER_PATH_32": "...\\AppDynamics.Profiler_x86.dll"

2. In the AppDynamicsAgentLog.config file the following wildcard exists by default
${environment:variable=PROGRAMDATA}

This is a problem in IIS, so, does this support a relative path for IIS? should I replace that wildcard with ".\"?

3. I was forced to specify a "node" value for this to start working in the AppDynamicsConfig.json

4. If I follow the instructions and let the solution generate the APPNAME.AppDynamicsConfig.json it doesn't work, when I just leave AppDynamicsConfig.json it starts generating the log files and attempting to send telemetry.

How can I validate in the logs that telemetry was sent to the server successfully?

Thanks!

I need help resolving the  point 4 in IIS it doesnt like to have APPName first, and visual studio keeps generating that regardless of what I do with the json file. 

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Maximiliano.Guillen,

Are you saying step 4 in the Documentation is no longer correct or is leading to errors? If so, can you specify which step 4 you are referring to? I can then share this with the Docs team to have someone look into it. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Ryan, correct! after adding the nuget package to the solution, it auto generates a file called
<<executable_name>>.AppDynamicsConfig.json where <<executable_name>> is the project name in visual studio, and when you compile is copied into the bin folder, but that doesnt activate AppDynamics, only when I manually removed the "executable name" part it starts working. So the file needed is plain and simple AppDynamicsConfig.json.

The other problem is VS behavior that adds the prefix, I would like to remove that as well, otherwise it forces us to add additional steps in our deployment tool to fix the file name.

I want to clarify that after I figured this out the solution started sending telemetry to our server. So its working, and we are happy. It just the trouble of following docs that are not accurate, or its probably a bug. Thanks for your help I await your suggestions.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Maximiliano.Guillen,

Thank you for clarifying. I have reported this to the Docs team for them to investigate. I will report back when I hear something from them. 

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Maximiliano.Guillen,

Still working on getting the Docs updated, but I heard this from a coworker.

When someone is using in-process hosting for IIS, they should add property <AppDynamicsUseCatchAllConfig>True</AppDynamicsUseCatchAllConfig> in there csproject. With it, config will be named just AppDynamicsConfig.json

Thanks,

Oh, nice! That's what I need. Thanks1

That last thing, worked like charm, thanks.