cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License count per application

With a SAAS controler, how can i get a clear report of how many licences are consumed by application ? I dont need the speed dials that tell me how many licenses are consumed total.

What i need is the license count per actual application that i have created in appDynamics. We need this to figure out what is the cost per application.

Any ideas ?

22 REPLIES 22

How can I get same report for on premises controller?   

Hi @Apmosys.IET,

Please check out this documentation here: https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-find-license-usage-by-applications-for-...

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Simon.Parish
Builder

How do we get the raw data out of the SaaS controller.  the screen gives a good overview, but we need to do some digging into our data and would like to be able to get this out and import it into a google sheet

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Simon.Parish,

What kind of raw data are you looking to get out of the SaaS Controller? 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi @Ryan.Paredez 
We'd like to get account usage for each access key we have in our SaaS controllers over time as we need to do some analysis work and the display of the information in the licensing screen doesn't really allow that.

Also in the documentation for getting the information via the API, it all shows username and password.  does this also work with api clients and secrets as the documentation and examples don't sow this.

Thanks,
Simon

@Simon.Parish Are you familiar with setting up rules to understand account usage and only needing support for the second question around API? 

For account usage, you can setup a rule with a set number of allowed units, to see who is consuming what. You can refer to our license doc on the subject for more info.

As for the API part...I assume you can, though I have not personally tried, use something like Postman to leverage auth and variables as you would generally do. Can't see why you should have to clear text passwords but perhaps the docs were to make it easy for users who do not know how to leverage API tools.

@Aaron.Schifman Yes we have rules set up, but we also want access to the information.  Also we'd like to be able to find which instances/nodes are associated with which license key - again is this also possible?

@Simon.Parish 

What API reference document are you leveraging?

From what I can see, licensing is not broken down by instances/nodes. Assuming you are talking about infrastructure based licensing, you can get the number and types of agents, and applications, but nothing deeper. 

What is it that you are trying to achieve by getting going down to the node?

@Aaron.Schifman 
I'm using this document
But it still refers to using username and password - which you can no longer setup and so does this actually work for using secrets and if so then could someone update the documents - when I go tot the URLS it states using postman I keep gettiing 404 errors when trying the 'Returns a Summary of All the License Rules for the Current Account' url.
If I can get the applications linked to a license then that should be enough, but even getting the first piece of information out of the system is proving troublesome

@Aaron.Schifman 
We are also using the agent based usage model so really there isn't anything of any use that we can get from this API.  Even though the controller clearly shows graphs of the number of licenses used over time, this data isn't available via the API.  WHY?