Release Upgrade Checklist for .NET Agents
To make sure you complete all the tasks necessary for upgrading .NET Agents after a release, we recommend following the upgrade checklist instructions below.
NOTE: The information in this article is not release-specific. You can reference it for any release
Table of Contents
Prepare to upgrade your .NET Agents
- Review the Product Announcements and Alerts page for details on any intermediate versions between the current version of your instance and the version you are targeting.
- Review either of the following to confirm the compatibility of the various components of the AppDynamics environment:
Plan your .NET Agent upgrade
- Please note that the .NET agent can reference either the .NET Agent or the .NET Microservices Agent—each a distinct agent with its own use and installation process.
Use: Monitors IIS applications Windows services
Prerequisites: See Supported Controller Versions/.NET Agent compatibility matrix below
Installation: See the install document for installation procedure
Use: For applications created with .NET core
Prerequisites: See .NET Microservices Agent documentation
Installation: Download the NuGET package
NOTE: If your Controller is older than 4.4.1, you must upgrade it before upgrading your .NET agent.
- To ensure a successful correlation, upgrade agents on downstream tiers first, followed by the upstream tiers.
- If you’re upgrading multiple agents in your monitored environment, upgrade the agents for the tiers on which business transactions are originated last.
- See the following as appropriate for step-by-step upgrade instructions:
- See Upgrade AppDynamics.Windows Azure NuGet Package if you are using the AppDynamics.WindowsAzure NuGet package to monitor your Azure solutions.
- See Install the AppDynamics Azure Site Extension for .NET for instructions for both minor and major releases.
If the agent installation fails, it may be due to configurations in your environment. Follow the Troubleshoot for .NET Agent Issues to address installation issues.
If necessary, uninstall the new version and reinstall the older version.
Instructions for upgrading other AppDynamics components are available in our general How do I get started with upgrading AppDynamics components for any release? article.