cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the steps to installing and validating a Java Agent?

Table of Contents

How do I install the AppDynamics Java Agent?

How do I validate that my deployed Java Agent is reporting?

How do I install the AppDynamics Java Agent?

1. Download the latest Java Agent from download.appdynamics.com

2. Unzip the folder to C:\AppDynamics\JavaAgent (<JavaAgent-Home>)

3. Navigate to <JavaAgent-Home>\version xxx\confdirectory and edit controller-info.xml

4. Input the following information

a

Controller hostname or IP address

The same host you use to access the AppDynamics Controller's browser-based UI (for example 192.168.1.22, or myhost, or myhost.xxx.com

SaaS Controller Host:

<controller-host>[xxx.saas.appdynamics.com]</controller-host>

On-premises Controller Host:

<controller-host>[On-premises Controller]</controller-host>

OVERRIDE: You can override this configuration with the environment variable CONTROLLER_HOST_NAME, or the system property
    -Dappdynamics.controller.HostName

Controller HTTPS port

The same port you use to access the AppDynamics Controller's browser-based UI:

SaaS Controller Port

<controller-port>[443]</controller-port>

On-premises Controller Port:

<controller-port>[On premises controller port]</controller-port>

DEPENDENCY:

If <Controller-ssl-enabled> (in row "C" below) is set to “true” specify, the Controller's HTTPS port  (default is 8181). If it is set to "false", specify the HTTP port (default is 8090) instead.

OVERRIDE:
    You can override with the environment variable: 
    CONTROLLER_CONTROLLER_PORT or the system property -Dappdynamics.controller.port

c
    Specify whether  to connect with SSL (HTTPS) or not

The Agent only connects to the Controller using SSL when you enable this property. Otherwise, it connects using HTTP. If you set <Controller-ssl-enabled> to “true”, then set the controller-port property to the Controller's HTTPS  (see step “b”, above). 

<controller-ssl-enabled>[set to true or false]</controller-ssl-enabled>

OVERRIDE:
    You can override with the environment variable: CONTROLLER_CONTROLLER_SSL_ENABLED or the system property  -Dappdynamics.controller.ssl.enabled

d
    Application name

The logical business application name that the JVM node belongs to, and NOT the deployment name (EAR, WAR, JAR) on the application server.

<application-name></application-name>

For example, if monitoring a portal application or "Acme eCommerce", you could name a business application "Acme Portal". If a business application of that name doesn't exist, the Controller will create one. 

OVERRIDE:
    You can override this setting with the environment variable 
    APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_APPLICATION_NAME or the system property -Dappdynamics.agent.accountAccessKey

e
    Tier name

The logical business tier this node belongs to. For example, a tier could be 'Acme frontend' or 'Acme Backend Service'. If your JVM/app server startup script contains a system property you want to use for the tiername (e.g., '-Dserver.tier'), you can use expressions like '${server.tier}_${some.property}.MyTier' to define the tier name. 

OVERRIDE:
    You can override this setting with the environment variable

APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_TIER_NAME or the system property -Dappdynamics.agent.tierName

f
    Node name

The name for this access node, which must be unique within the business application, e.g., 'weblogicinstance23', or 'hweb24'. If your JVM/appserver startup script contains a system property you want to use for the node name (e.g.,
    -Dserver.name), you can refer to the system similarly (e.g., ${server.name}). The value for server.name will be used as AppDynamics node name.

OVERRIDE:
    You can override this configuration with the environment variable

APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_NODE_NAME or the system property -Dappdynamics.agent.nodeName

g
    Account name

If you’re running in single-tenant mode (the default), you don’t need to configure this value.

<account-name>xxx</account-name>

OVERRIDE:
    You can override this configuration with the environment variable 
    APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_ACCOUNT_NAME or the system property -Dappdynamics.agent.applicationtName

h
    The account access key

<account-access-key>xxx</account-access-key>

If 'use-encrypted-credentials' is set to true, use the encrypted account access key.

OVERRIDE:
    You can override this configuration with the environment variable APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_ACCOUNT_ACCESS_KEY or with the system property Dappdynamics.agent.accountAcccessKey

5. Attach the Java Agent to the JVM.
    Depending on the JVM framework and the Java Agent downloaded, you can follow the installation scripts in Agent Installation by Java Framework

In general, the —javagaent argument is appended to the startup command for the JVM. The argument should indicate the location of the Java Agent JAR file:
    -javaagent:<agent_home>/javaagent.jar

How do I validate that your deployed Java Agent is reporting?

To validate that the Machine Agent is reporting on the Controller, navigate to Settings, then AppDynamics Agents. Click the AppServer Agents tab.

Comments
Nandeesh.Kumar S
Explorer

Hi all,

I'm new to AppDynamics, I have question like how to download and install AppDynamics java agent in Linux server and I need full steps

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Nandeesh.Kumar S,

Thanks for asking your question on Community. Please check out this AppD docs page that covers Java Agent installation for many different environments. https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/22.x/latest/en/application-monitoring/install-app-server-agents/ja...

Version history
Last update:
‎01-04-2021 05:11 PM
Updated by: