cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction Detection rules don't work

AppD is detecting transactions using custom include rules, in tiers not contained in the scope, for the rules that are detecting the transactions.

That is happening, despite me having higher priority custom include rules, that should detect those transactions.

The rules that are detecting the transactions, should not be detecting anything in the tier they are detecting the transactions in, because the scope does not include the tier where the transaction is being detected.

But even so... the custom rule that I have in place, SHOULD override those rules, based on priority, even if the tier was included in the scope of the rules which are detecting the transactions.

The only way I have been able to get my custom include rule to detect the transactions, is to completely disable the 2 lower priority custom include rules, which are masking my rule (but should not be).

I have tried both including the tier (rate-service-3534853), in the scope (AllTierse), and excluding the tier (rate-service-3534853) in the scope (AllTierse), and the effect is the same... both rules: 'default-Servlet-catchall,' and 'Default-Spring Bean - Catchall,' continue to detect transactions in the 'rate-service-3534853' tier... and in doing so, are masking my higher priority custom include rule.

What gives?  

('AllTierse' scope showing that 'rate-service-3534853' is excluded from the scope.  But tried it both included, and excluded.  Made no difference.  Rules using this scope are invoked, regardless.

AllTierse Tier - Excludes rate-service.JPG

(Custom Match rule for 'default-Servlet-catchall' rule.   Low priority, '1'.)

default-Servlet-catchall rule.JPG

(Custom Match rule for 'Default-Spring Bean - Catchall' rule.   Low priority, '1'.)

Default-Spring Bean - Catchall rule.JPG

(Transaction Detection snapshots showing 'default-Servlet-catchall' rule, and 'Default-Spring Bean - Catchall' detecting transactions in the 'rate-service-3534853' tier.

Rate Trans snapshots.JPG

(Configuration showing that  'default-Servlet-catchall' rule, and 'Default-Spring Bean - Catchall' are not even applied to the 'rate-service-3534853' tier... and yet, both of those rules are masking the rules I have highlighted in the screenshot below).

Rule priority for Rate.JPG

3 REPLIES 3

Hiroki.Ito
AppDynamics Team

Thank you for posting to the community.
Could you please check the version of Java Agent you are using?
If it is old(before 4.5.2), there was an issue related to priority of custom match rule, so could you please upgrade Java Agent and check again?

If not, I think this requires investigation of agents log, so could you please raise a support ticket?
* Support is only accessible for non trial/Lite customers.

How do I submit a Support ticket? An FAQ

If you raise a support ticket, sharing debug log, configuration files, controller url(if it is saas) and custom match rule configuration screenshots may be helpful.

Please see the knowledge base article for taking a debug log. Please make sure to take debug log while loading the business transactions.

Best Regards,
Hiroki

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hello,

Thanks for responding.

This is what the Properties page shows as the version:  

Version

Server Agent #20.5.0.30113 v20.5.0 GA compatible with 4.4.1.0 r474b6e3c8f55ababbb11a87ff265d8ce34eb0414 release/20.5.0

JVM VersionJava HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.8.0_301 Oracle Corporation

So... is this considered an 'old' version?

We are a big company, and I know our AppD admin team evaluates versions, but there are a lot of hoops they have to jump through to approve updates for the enterprise.

I have met with our AppD technical Rep. Michael Kala and showed him all this, but he was not able to come to any conclusions.  I think he also recommended updating agents, but not based on a knowledge of the defect you describe, but just as a general course of action, i.e., standard trouble-shooting.

Let me know if that version is out-dated, and I will volunteer my systems for the updated agent version that our admin team is currently vetting.

Thanks.

Thank you for checking the version.
v20.5.0 is not that old as I expected.
Upgrading the agent may not fix this issue. (Though it is always recommended to upgrade to the latest version because there are many resolved issues in other area)

Further investigation may require debug logs, so could you please raise a support ticket and attach debug logs, configuration files, controller url(if it is saas) and custom match rule configuration screenshots?
* Support is only accessible for non trial/Lite customers.

In addition, if you are able to learn anything from the support, could you please share that knowledge here? Peer to peer support and knowledge sharing are what drives the community.

Best Regards,
Hiroki

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.