cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End User Monitoring - Identifying the user and their AD group

Scott.fulford

Hello App Dynamics community,

We have begun implementing End-User-Monitoring accross several apps used internally in our organization, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to collect, as part of the end-user data, the current user identity (AD ID?). This would be a huge benefit as it would let us know a multitude of information about how our apps are being used: ie. per app who are the most active users? Who can we go talk to as "key users" from various departments per app? What features are being used most by different groups?

If this isn't built in by default, is there any way we could inject this information into AppDynamics EUM - perhaps by making a custom (jsonp with the user's ID?) endpoint call included in the custom EUM scripts - as mentioned below - which would then get recorded with EUM information?

https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-add-custom-user-data-via-automatic-inject...

4 REPLIES 4

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi scott, 

You can easily add thecurrent user identity (AD ID) as custom  user data to your browser snapshots by manual injection approach. You have to add it as a parameter in the page or using a function. 

The below doc link should help you with the syntax and applicability of all the possible ways we can pass custom data to snapshots:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Add+Custom+User+Data+to+a+Page+Browser+Snapshot

Hope this helps. Do let me know in case you face any issues. 

Thank You,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi, 

I am trying to fully understand how you get specific user data from the page. I saw the documentation but did not fully understand it. Is there any example you could refer me to? 

Also, if you are using angular js, this function will be in the component js file or the service you make for adrum-js?
Thanks, 

Hi Hemang,

You need to add the custom user data code just below the adrum script, so inject it in the same page where you have injected the adrum js code for monitoring your application pages. 

var currentUser = {FirstName:"John", LastName:"Doe"};
var firstName = currentUser.FirstName + ' ';
var res = firstName.concat(currentUser.LastName);
ADRUM.command ("addUserData", "FullName",res);

When you do this you are actually instructing the js agent to keep a watch on these parameters in all your calls for this page and pull out this key/value pair and show it in the snapshots as custom user data.

There are multiple formats in which you can fetch user data from your web pages as you might have already seen in the doc link. Here is the link again for quick reference:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Add+Custom+User+Data+to+a+Page+Browser+Snapshot

Thank You,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Chitra,

Can we get the username or loginId by adding it in Header's section as parameter in HTTP Request Data Collectors under Analytics tab ? Sharing the snap for what we have done, but we cannot see loginId displayed anywhere niether do we know where exactly it will be displayed.

Can you please help.

HTTP Request Data Collector Snap.PNG