cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppD node js agent unable to communicate with controller .

surya.rayala
Creator

Hi,

We are trying to set up App D node JS agent for our front-end Node JS  Application hosted on Cloud Foundry.

steps followed - 

• declared the dependencies for the NodeJS agent In the package.json file of the application.

"dependencies": {
"appdynamics": "4.5.7",

---

---

}

• Statement  require("appdynamics").profile({}) added in the src/app.js file . 
    • created a user provided service in cloud foundry using                                                                  cf create-user-provided-service <service name> -p "host-name,port,ssl-enabled,account-name,account-access-key,application-name,tier-name,node-name"
    • bind the newly created servcie to our app hosted on cloud foundry .
    • setup proxy in cloud foundry usinf cf set-env http_proxy http://user@password:myproxy....:8080/
    • restage the app usign cf restage <app-name>

I am still facing issues as my app doesn't gets detected in the AppD controller, I am not sure what is the issue?  any thoughts? 

Regards,

Surya. 

8 REPLIES 8

Radhika.Puthiyetath
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi @surya.rayala

Thank you for posting your query on the AppDynamics Community.

The issue could be with your proxy setting. Please refer to Node.js Settings Reference and see if you can correct them.

Also, please share the log message (after redacting sensitive information, such as IP) for closer scrutiny.

Hope it helps.

Jeffrey.Holmes
AppDynamics Team

Hi Surya

Are you able to ssh into the container and check the logs at /tmp/appd? They may not exist if the agent didn't start up correctly.

Since a proxy is required, you'd want to use the Node.js agent specific settings (proxyHost, proxyPort), which you'd set in the require statement (see example below). Doc link: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Node.js+Settings+Reference

Also, you'll want to explicitly set the other AppD settings from your user provided service in the require statement. The example below is based on a marketplace service and environment variables for app and tier name, so you'll have to adapt it to pull the values from the user provided service (based on how it's stored in VCAP_SERVICES). There some more info here:

https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/node-cfenv

Add as dependency:

"cfenv": "latest",

Also note that nodeName is set to explicitly append the instance id to guarantee a unique node name when you scale and libagent:true will enable the embedded/proxyless agent.

var cfEnv = require('cfenv');
var appEnv = cfEnv.getAppEnv();
var appdService = appEnv.getServiceCreds('pcf-appd-instance');
var appdynamics = require("appdynamics").profile({
    controllerHostName: appdService['host-name'],
    controllerPort: appdService['port'],
    controllerSslEnabled: appdService['ssl-enabled'],
    accountName: appdService['account-name'],
    accountAccessKey: appdService['account-access-key'],
    applicationName: `${process.env.APPD_APP_NAME}`,
    tierName: `${process.env.APPD_TIER_NAME}`,
    nodeName: `${appEnv.name}.${process.env.CF_INSTANCE_INDEX}`,
    libagent: true,
     proxyHost: x,
     proxyPort: y
});

Hi all,

Thanks for reverting, I checked the proxy settings and I am able to connect from my CF environment to App D controller and I tried to log in to the cf app instance.

below is the snapshot of the web-sdk-sample-generic#58_$CF_INSTANCE_INDEX-0.json file(snapshpt 2), I had already mentioned all the AppD configuration details in the Cloud foundry using user provided service (CUPS) and binded with my app, but still some parameters are displaying null values.

below is the   snapshot for agent logs 

logs 3.PNG

logs 2.PNG

logs 1.PNG

Hi Surya

Based on the existence of a 'proxy' directory in your app folder:

Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 9.55.34 AM.png

it doesn't appear the libagent: true flag is set to avoid creating the legacy java proxy, which will spin up a JVM in the container that connects with the controller. Using this flag, the embedded node.js agent will run and connect directly to the controller w/o need for a seperate java proxy.

You can refer to this sample app and try running it in your environment:

https://github.com/Appdynamics/cloudfoundry-apps/blob/master/cf-nodejs/server.js

Also, I see that ${process.env.CF_INSTANCE_INDEX} is not being substituted correctly. After setting the libagent flag to true, can you add console.log statements to print out the values to confirm they're correct. You should see the container index substituted.

For example...

var appdynamics = require("appdynamics").profile({
controllerHostName: appdService['host-name'],
controllerPort: appdService['port'],
controllerSslEnabled: appdService['ssl-enabled'],
accountName: appdService['account-name'],
accountAccessKey: appdService['account-access-key'],
nodeName: `${appEnv.name}.${process.env.CF_INSTANCE_INDEX}`,
libagent: true
});

console.log('host : ' + appdService['host-name'])
console.log('port : ' + appdService['port'])
console.log('ssl: ' + appdService['ssl-enabled'])
console.log('account: ' + appdService['account-name'])
console.log('node : ' + `${appEnv.name}.${process.env.CF_INSTANCE_INDEX}`)

prints out:

2018-12-10T10:21:44.31-0800 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT host : ...appdynamics.com
2018-12-10T10:21:44.32-0800 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT port : 80
2018-12-10T10:21:44.32-0800 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT ssl: false
2018-12-10T10:21:44.32-0800 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT account: customer1
2018-12-10T10:21:44.32-0800 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT node : appd-node-demo.0

Please post the output from these log statements, as well as the agent logs.

Also please include your complete require('appdynamics'){...} statement

Hi Jeffrey, 

Please find the latest logs, and the thing is I am able to see my app in the AppD controller for a while with agent status as 30 %, and after a while, even the traffic is being generated the agent status showing 0 %. 

Please find the complete logs 

latestlogs.PNG

Hi Surya

Can you open a support ticket and reference this post?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am able to connect my Node JS AppD agent to the controller and able to see the metrics on the AppD controller dashboard, the thing is we are deploying our application on cf(cloud foundry) and we have 5 instances running in cloud foundry, but we have our AppD monitoring enabled for only one instance , .ie there is the only node is being displayed on the controller, how to spin up a total of 5 nodes in the controller to monitor our instances . 

below is the code in the app<server.js file 

require("appdynamics").profile({
controllerHostName: 'xyz.saas.appdynamics.com',
controllerPort: 443,
controllerSslEnabled: true,
accountName: 'sample-low',
accountAccessKey: '1234',
tierName: 'web-stg',
nodeName: 'web-stg-1',
applicationName: 'AIQ-STG',
libagent: true,
debug: true
}); 

and i have created a user provided servcie in cf and binded it to my app in cf .

everything is working fine, but I am unable to figure out spinning additional nodes in AppD for remaining instances in cf.

Please share your thoughts regarding this scenario.

Regards,

Surya Rayala.