cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Represent Application Availability in time?

Dante.Paoloni
Creator

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone actually found a way to represent the Availability of an application in time (or downtime) as a metric counter. 

As in like a total time of application not performing without any problem in a given timeframe.

3 REPLIES 3

Mario.Morelli
Architect

Hi

Availability is relative and would be different in every organisation.

You need to define what you would classify as you availability metrics for an Application and use the Appdynamics metrics to calculate this.

As an example for 1 Application you might have 6 nodes load balanced handling traffic, and 1 of them goes offline, however all other traffic is routed and handled without any problems. thereby producing no errors and users were not affected.

Would you classify the Application as 100% available, due to no errors and users affected, even though one node went offline. or would the one node being down affect your availability.

Ciao

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A

Hey @Mario.Morelli !

Thanks for the reply!  i know that the concept of Availability is different for every org.  My main issue is once defined (for example the agent metric of Availability of node) I want to calculate how much time that specific alert was triggered in the length of a day or a week... and have a raw "Availability" per node in value of time.

The main objective in this is to have a Widget (of any kind) that shows an N number of hours (or minutes) that a specific entity had en event (Following the example in this case it would be the Availability of a node).

Thanks Dante

From what I know, this isn't possible OOB. Best would be to add this in the Idea Exchange to get some traction.

My suggestion would either be one of the following.

1. Create a script to call AppDynamics REST API, and query the events related to a node, this will also include start & end dates for events affecting the node. you can then output this into some sort of visualization. Either process it into a custom analytics table within AppDynamics if possible, or use a tool like Grafana to do the visualization.

2. Integrate AppD into a BI tool to extract all the information via the REST API, where you can then slice & dice the data within the Metric DB.

Grafana also has a Plugin for AppDynamics, which should be able to get you the info you require, however I have not tested it yet, and it's a premium Plugin which will cost money

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A