cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long custom metrics name on widget graph

Leonardo.Garcia
Creator

Hello,

I am building custom dashboards with metrics from the F5 extension and wildcards. In the graphics, the name of the variable $ {n} or the automatic name is very long and because you have wildcards you cannot set it fixed.

Is there a way to take the last "n" characters or fields?

Best regards

5 REPLIES 5

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Leonardo.Garcia,

Can you add a screenshot to show what you mean? If you do, please be sure to blur any information that you do not want to be seen by the public. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hello,

I should have put $ {m} and because I made a mistake in the variable

demo.jpg

I too am interested in this subject.

@Ryan.Paredez 

full metric namefull metric name

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Widgets 

• Metric Display NameYou can choose the display name for the metrics in a widget. Specify one or more of the following substitution variables to determine the metric display name:
    • ${#}: Number the displayed metrics based on sorting with the rollup value.
    • ${m}: Metric name.
    • ${e}: Entity name.

For example, if specify ${m}, the widget displays the full metric name.

${m} returns this full path same as automatic

${e} returns just 'Kafka' but I'm interested in what's between 'topic >' and ' > OneMinuteRate'

I'm hoping on the underlying relative path that I can reduce to just topic name.  A single example in the image is the system stopic __consumer_offsets.   Is it possible to use regular expressions or other on the wildcard in the metric?

Thanks!! Mike

same "opportunity" here, we are using the extension for SiteMinder and each legend value has a very long name

#hostname# > Custom Metrics > SiteMinder > SiteMinder Manager > #component# > #ip address# > #metric name# 

7 segments to the name.     (sometimes more) 

We really only care about the last three parts of this long name. 

We don't mind the long name for keeping the data.  We would really appreciate the ability to truncate the first part of the name.  Other tools allow options to keep the left, middle, or right sides of long names.

It just provides options to make it easier to read and saves legend space. 

We will keep watching this tread.  Tried to submit this as a product idea but was routed to this discussion. 

Hi all,

I found this existing Idea Exchange post that I think is requesting the same thing this post it.

If it does, please comment and vote on this idea.

https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Enhance-the-quot-Metric-Display-Name-quot-criteri...

Note: Only customers can access the Idea Exchange at this time.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.