cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kubernetes install

T.Singh
Creator

Hi All

Im trying to install on my rke cluster and have read the documentation.

There seem to be no instructions on how to deploy the operator first. After creating a namespace, it jumps straight to 'deploy cluster agent operator yml' without any predefined yml code

I tried the github readme as well, do I need to download the entire deploy directory from github or just the operator yml?

17 REPLIES 17

Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

Hello, @T.Singh 

I wonder, did you happen to use this documentation: 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Install+the+Cluster+Agent 

The Cluster Agent Bundle on step 2 of that doc includes the cluster-agent-operator.yaml file. You can download it on our Downloads portal, or from our GitHub.

Does this answer your question?  If not, @Jeffrey.Holmes might have additional insight—mentioned here for visibility into your question.

Kind regards,

Claudia Landivar

Community Manager & Editor

AppDynamics

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi @Claudia.Landivar @Jeffery.Holmes

Thanks for responding.
I am unsure of where to start, I assumed it was the Appdynamics operator for Kubernetes and that would auto install all dependencies cluster agent/machine agent.

The documentation does make it a bit hard for ppl new to AppD.

This is what I was referring to.
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Deploy+the+AppDynamics+Operator+on+Kubernetes

Update:

I seem to have progressed, however seeing unlicensed errors in logs. This is a pro trial.

[ERROR]: 2020-06-12 06:40:41 - agentregistrationmodule.go:113 - Failed to send agent registration request: Post https://xxxx.saas.appdynamics.c

[ERROR]: 2020-06-12 06:40:41 - agentregistrationmodule.go:114 - clusterId: 162                                                                                 

[ERROR]: 2020-06-12 06:40:41 - agentregistrationmodule.go:116 - Registration properties: {}                                                                    

[INFO]: 2020-06-12 06:41:41 - agentregistrationmodule.go:104 - Registering agent again                                                                         

[INFO]: 2020-06-12 06:41:42 - agentregistrationmodule.go:127 - Successfully registered agent again r0-rke                                                      

[WARNING]: 2020-06-12 06:41:42 - agentregistrationmodule.go:206 - Agent is not licensed

@Ondine.Kilker, @Liza.Shibu, and @Jeff.Holmes:

Per our discussion, here is the document @T.Singh started on to configure AppDynamics for Kubernetes — Is that right, T. Singh? Team, can you weigh in? This is a great opportunity to discover how Docs and Community can help.

Claudia Landivar

Community Manager & Editor

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi @T.Singh The current docs assume you start with the instructions on https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Install+the+Cluster+Agent and download the cluster agent bundle, which will include the cluster-agent-operator.yaml. However, I can understand how you'd easily start on the 'Deploy the AppDynamics Operator on Kubernetes' page, since it is a subpage and could be interpreted as step 1 in the install process. 

Perhaps our doc page 'Deploy the AppDynamics Operator on Kubernetes' could include a prerequisites section that ensures the steps on 'Install the Cluster Agent' were performed, and make clear that the cluster-agent-operator.yaml was part of the cluster agent bundle downloaded from that step.

Jeff

@Claudia.Landivar @Ondine.Kilker 

@Jeffrey.Holmes @Claudia.Landivar 

Thank you for reviewing the feedback. 

The operator section is positioned above the cluster agent section in the docs so it can be a bit misleading, but all sorted now. 

I did run into a licensing issue though. Looks like the trial isn't providing server visibility/infra licensing and as a result, the cluster agent is not registering with the SaaS controller. Can you please review this as well?
(Screenshot of my license count attached)

Cluster agent licensing errors in logs:

│ Property -appdynamics.agent.accountAccessKey successfully read and added to CA_PROPERTIES                                                                       │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:53 - main.go:48 - Starting APPDYNAMICS CLUSTER AGENT version 20.5.0                                                                    │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:53 - main.go:49 - Go lang version: go1.12.1                                                                                            │
│ W0613 01:01:53.285353       7 client_config.go:549] Neither --kubeconfig nor --master was specified.  Using the inClusterConfig.  This might not work.          │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:53 - main.go:59 - Kubernetes version: v1.17.5                                                                                          │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:53 - main.go:188 - Registering cluster agent with                                                                                      │
│  controller host : xxx.saas.appdynamics.com                                                                                                    │
│  controller port : 443                                                                                                                                          │
│  account name : xxx                                                                                                                          │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:53 - agentregistrationmodule.go:286 - Established connection to Kubernetes API                                                         │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:53 - agentregistrationmodule.go:50 - Cluster name: r0-rke                                                                              │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:53 - agentregistrationmodule.go:101 - Initial Agent registration                                                                       │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:54 - agentregistrationmodule.go:127 - Successfully registered agent again r0-rke                                                       │
│ [WARNING]: 2020-06-13 01:01:54 - agentregistrationmodule.go:206 - Agent is not licensed                                                                         │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:54 - agentregistrationmodule.go:57 - Started APPDYNAMICS CLUSTER AGENT Successfully                                                    │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:54 - eventmodule.go:29 - Starting Event Module                                                                                         │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:54 - containermonitoringmodule.go:242 - Registering containers for cluster with machine Id 162                                         │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:01:54 - podmonitoring.go:72 - Starting Pod Monitoring Module                                                                              │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:02:54 - agentregistrationmodule.go:104 - Registering agent again                                                                          │
│ [INFO]: 2020-06-13 01:02:54 - agentregistrationmodule.go:127 - Successfully registered agent again r0-rke                                                       │
│ [WARNING]: 2020-06-13 01:02:54 - agentregistrationmodule.go:206 - Agent is not licensed     

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 10.57.30 am.png

Hi Guys

Any updates here?

Hi @T.Singh 

I was tracking down how we can change trial licenses to include a Server Visibility license, which may a few days to sort out.

thanks

Jeff

---

Edited  6/16/20 C. Landivar

First: Im still stuck at the first error:

agentregistrationmodule.go:113 - Failed to send agent registration request: Status: 404 Not Found, Body

Second: For the kubernetes Cluster agent, does there need to be a license on the server? Or can it just take the the host and access key? I would imagine that it wouldn't since getting licenses on the machines would be pretty tough if you're machines are ephemeral or are just a huge number of servers versus pods