cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Fabric Project

tudor.pastor
Builder

Hi,

I was waiting for a long time for version 4.4 since we use a .Net Core Service Fabric application in Azure with a bunch of Stateless and Stateful Services running across multiple nodes.

Now I have followed this documentation https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Install+AppDynamics+for+Azure+Service+Fabric 

and I also read a bit here
 https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/PDF+Documentation?preview=%2F43910190%2F45484022%2F4.4.1_...

and I can't seem to make it work. The documentation seems a bit ambiguous to say the least. I am in need of advice in getting appdynamics up and running. I might be doing something wrong, but don't know what. I have added the nuget package via Visual Studio, and even got this nice little pop-up asking me for info about our controller, which I filled in for every service.

One thing i noticed is if I rename AppDynamicsConfig.json, the build breaks.
Secondly, I might not have placed the dll files where I should have. Should they be where the service manifest is? Visual Studio creates a folder called AppDynamics where all the dll and json files are. (under each service)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15

Hi Tudor, 

We have tested the steps for Installing service fabric as given in - https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Install+AppDynamics+for+Azure+Service+Fabric

We were able to make the instrumentation work and here is what we followed -

• We Manually downloaded the NugetPackage from https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/package/AppDynamics.WindowsAzure/4.4.1
  • We unzipped it in a folder on the machine. 
  • We copied AppDynamics.Agent.dllAppDynamics.Profiler_x64.dllAppDynamicsAgentLog.configAppDynamicsConfig.json from <nuget_package>\content\AppDynamics and added in the Visual studio solution of each of the Service Project at the top level, not under any folder. 
  • Right Click on each of these 4 newly added files in Visual studio for each service project and make sure under properties Build Action: Content and Copy to Output Directory: Copy Always is selected.
  • Rename AppDynamicsConfig.json to <executable_name>.AppDynamicsConfig.json in each project.
  • Also modify the ServiceManifest.xml in each of the project and add following  - 

<CodePackage ...>
  <EntryPoint>
  </EntryPoint>
  <EnvironmentVariables>
    <EnvironmentVariable Name="COR_ENABLE_PROFILING" Value="1" />
    <EnvironmentVariable Name="COR_PROFILER" Value="{39AEABC1-56A5-405F-B8E7-C3668490DB4A}" />
    <EnvironmentVariable Name="COR_PROFILER_PATH" Value="AppDynamics.Profiler_x64.dll" />
   </EnvironmentVariables>
</CodePackage>
  • Update the <executable_name>.AppDynamicsConfig.json in each service project, with following  - 
{
"controller":
{
"host":"ControllerHost",
"port":ControllerPort,
"account":"ControllerAccount",
"password":"AccessKey"
},
"application":
{
"name":"NameOfTheControllerApplication"
}
}
  • Publish the Services to the Cluster from Visual Studio, it will publishes the added new files as content of the deployed package.
  • On applying the load on the applications, we started seeing the tiers getting registered for each hosted service in controller.
  • Agent logs were getting created under D:\LogFiles\AppDynamics on the Cluster VMs. 

Note: As per your screenshot looks like you have added the nuget package by the package manager in the solution, that is not needed. Which creates a folder Appdynamics in the project and adds all the files in it. The steps shared above is needed to be performed manually after downloading and extracting the nuget package on the machine.

Attached screenshot of the my test project which I created for testing the behaviour.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

2018-03-19 05:57:56.1361 4140 Visma.Cfa.Asf.ConcurrentActor 1 3 Error ConfigurationChannel Exception: The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly. Exception: System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at AppDynamics.Shared.Communication.hp.rt(HttpWebRequest )
at AppDynamics.Shared.Communication.hp.ym(Byte[] , String )
at com.appdynamics.ee.rest.controller.request.ja.gua()

2018-03-19 05:58:05.0455 2964 Visma.Cfa.Asf.Configuration.Service 1 3 Warn ConfigurationChannel Could not connect to the controller/invalid response from controller, cannot get initialization information, controller host [vismadev.saas.appdynamics.com], port[443], exception [System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The connection was closed unexpectedly.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at AppDynamics.Shared.Communication.hp.rt(HttpWebRequest )
at AppDynamics.Shared.Communication.hp.ym(Byte[] , String )
at com.appdynamics.ee.rest.controller.request.ja.gua()]

Above are examples of Errors I get in the Appdynamics log(WarnLog) on the Service Fabric Nodes/VMs.

I have set it up exactly as you described and as you can see in the screenshots. I have also tried:

telnet vismadev.saas.appdynamics.com 443 
from the VM and it does work. I suspect SSL not working or some firewall issue, or maybe I need an open port that I don't know about. Do you have any advice on what to do next?

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi,

Can you try using port 80 which is a non ssl port and verify if the connection goes through? After changing the port info recycle the process.

Good thing is that Agent is able to hook into the process.

Thanks,

Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

It worked on port 80, thank you for that, but how do I find out why port 443 is not working?

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Tudor,

Can you double check that both ssl and enable_tls12 is set to true like shown below?

<controller host="mycontroller.mycompany.com" port="443" ssl="true" enable_tls12="true" 

If above does not work, can you also double check if port 443 is not blocked in anyway.

Thanks,

Raunak

Hi,

It indeed worked as you suggested. I noticed a few issues I would kindly ask for your help with:

1. If you have the service fabric SDK installed you can debug your application locally.

I see appdynamics detected each Service where I put the .DLLs in as a Tier, I guess, and each Node it's running on both in Azure and locally on my machine. The problem is I have 5 Nodes on my PC(simulated) and 3 production Nodes in Azure. I see all 8 of them in Appdynamics. Could we somehow isolate the local nodes and ignore them? Same goes for accessing local databases versus Azure databases.

2. I copied some dll all around our solution and that made the package size go up quite alot. Couldn't we just point Appdynamics in each service towards the same AppDynamics.Agent.dll and profiles file?

3. We know for sure that we have multiple services being used, but only 3 of them show up in Appdynamics. I know that appdynamics detects load and only shows that, but we are pretty sure we are using all services together at all times. I will still have to triplecheck this, but it is my impression that only 3 services actually send data to the Controller.