cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Net Application -> OpenTelemetry Collector -> AppDynamics

Yujie.Zhou
Creator

Hi all,

I'm developing a POC using otel collector (running on docker) to collect logs, traces, and metrics from a dotnet application and then send the observability data to AppDynamics. I'm following this section of the documentation: https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/22.x/22.6/en/application-monitoring/appdynamics-for-opentelemetry

Currently I only see traces in the example configuration. Does anyone know if logs and metrics are also supported? And do I need to install dotnet agent to do this (given that I just want to see data successfully received in AppDynamics)?

Thank you for the help!

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Yujie.Zhou,

I did some asking around and Otel is currently not supported by the Trial/Lite version of AppD. 

On a further note; we are not supporting logs & metrics in cSaaS, but we are in AppD Cloud.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi @Ryan.Paredez,

Thank you for the response! Just so I understand clearly, does that mean that we cannot use AppDynamics .NET agent to report both OpenTelemetry span data and Application Performance Monitoring (APM) data from the trial version I'm using? 

I do see some data injected from OtelCollector trace pipeline from the dashboard:

YujieZhou_0-1675117560809.png

YujieZhou_5-1675118040667.png

This is when I used the existing application:

YujieZhou_3-1675117777899.png

although following the next steps, after I installed the agent it showed that the controller connection is not working so I ended up registered the machine with no application.

YujieZhou_1-1675117618804.png

YujieZhou_2-1675117670255.png

Does this mean that at least the flow for # 3 and # 4 on the following diagram is working?

YujieZhou_4-1675117886916.png

Thank you!

Arun.Gangadharaiah
AppDynamics Team

Hi @Yujie.Zhou You are correct the flow of #2, # 3 and # 4  is working for you. 

I m not expert in .Net agent but to get  #1 flow to work, you need to set the Application name as "opentelemetry" rather than "opentelemetry_otel".  Also, note your trial account should have .net or any APM license to get #1 work flow.

For otel flow, the service.namespace name you use "opentelemetry" is translated to "opentelemetry_otel" Application name in the controller to distinguish between otel data and appd data. Ideally you should see 2 applications

1. opentelemetry_otel : For otel related data

2. opentelemetry: For appdynamics instrumented data

Please give it a try and see if that solves the problem. Thanks

Ref: https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/22.x/22.12/en/application-monitoring/appdynamics-for-opentelemetry...

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.