cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring a stand-alone C# .NET application

Mohak.V
Creator

Hi,

Ive a controller and a single .Net Agent - to moniter a standalone .Net exe - Ive followed the .Net Agent config wizard (given the Name and Account Key - in the config file at C:\Program

Files\AppDynamics\AppDynamics .NET Agent\Config\config.xml).

The agent shows up in the controller GUI - under the "Tiers & Node" section - but I also see a lot of warnings in the top right corner of the controller GUI:

Agent license request denied. Agent type: ; Host: machinename; Reason: Not licensed for controller

Also , in the controller GUI - is there any place I can see the agent profile logs - ie where can I see the output of the profiling being done of the standalone app - can you please let me know,

11 REPLIES 11

Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)
Hi,

What is the value of Agent type you see in those alerts ? Do you have enough .Net Agent licenses ?

Now regarding instrumenting standalone applications you will need to follow
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Configure+the+.NET+Agent+for+Windows+Services+and+Standal...

Also you may not not see any BTS getting identified. For which you will need to create Custom Match Rules of type .Net Class/Method
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/POCO+Entry+Points

You can use Live Preview to identify appropriate Class/Method to create POCO on
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Custom+Match+Rule+Live+Preview

Thanks,
Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Radhika.Puthiyetath

Hi @Mohak.V

Thank you for posting your queries on the AppDynamics Community.

If you find the response from @Raunak.Mohanty is useful and if it answers your question, please go ahead mark it as the Accepted Solution using the button in the message body. Marking a response as an accepted solution helps others find their answers quickly and efficiently.

Keep us posted if you need further assistance.

Thank you

Radhika

Ive a trail version of the controller and the .Net agent.

The .Net Agent was configured using the AppDynamicAgentConfiguration - where after giving controller configuration (accountname and account access key)  showed "Controller connection succeeded"

The agent type in the alert is blank - I see the below message:

Agent license request denied. Agent type: ; Host: XXXXXX; License Rule: Default; Reason: Not licensed for controller (please chgeck Licence error.png)

Also - on my Controller - under Licence->Rules-> I see 0 of 0 .Net agents. Also it's not allowing me to allocate 1 to the .Net agent. How can I set this? - I just want to use a single .Net Agent.

Also in the WarnLog.txt file (under AgentLogs) - I see the below errors - how can I resolve these errors:

2018-09-27 18:34:43.6634 22380 MyStandAlone.exe 1 12 Warn ConfigurationChannel Problem with appagent registration. Status:Agent license request denied. Agent type: .NET; Host: XYXMachineName; License Rule: Default; Reason: No license available
2018-09-27 18:34:43.6634 22380 Lehman.Euclid.Apps.GTRFeed2 1 12 Warn ConfigurationChannel Auto agent registration FAILED! Check the controller log for details.

Have you added the license file to the controller?

If so, and it's still not showing the entitlements, you may need to login into the <controller-host>/controller/admin.jsp Admin page, and allocate the licenses.

After Login -> Account.

Then you can allocate the same licenses in the License Page.

Let us know if you have queries.

Thanks

Ayush

Hi,

Ive been using a LIC file which I placed under C:\AppDynamics\Platform\controller. This LIC file was the one which I'd got when I'd downloaded the trail version of the controller ie platform-setup-x64-windows-4.5.1.13594. But through this file - Im getting the problems (agent problems which Ive described earlier)

Can you please give me a different file LIC which would enable me to use the controller and the .net agents. Ive been trying to make a POC for using appdyanmic for our application.

Raunak.Mohanty
Hi Mohak,

Can you send me the content of license file as a private message so that I can review it ?

Thanks,
Raunak

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Raunak.Mohanty

Hi Mohak,

As you can see in your license file, you have only licenses available to use PHP and Python language agents, .net Agent are not able to connect and throwing errors

property_no-of-python-app-agent-license-units=5
property_no-of-php-agent-license-units=5
startDate=1537182654624
property_mobile-license-allows-overages=false
property_edition=ENTERPRISE_TRIAL
property_transaction-analytics-volume-no-of-license-units=0
property_transaction-analytics-retention-period-no-of-license-units=90
property_no-of-machine-sim-license-units=0
property_eum-license-allows-overages=false
property_eum-license-type=EUM_LITE

What you need to do is connect with your Sales Rep/Account Manager so that .Net Agent trial licenses can be included as well.

Or you can create a new query at the following area and someone from Licensing team will get in touch with you.

https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Licensing/bd-p/Licensing

Thanks,

Raunak

hi Raunak,

Also can you please confirm that this LIC file needs to be copied at C:\AppDynamics\Platform\controller

Raunak.Mohanty

That is correct.

Thanks,

Raunak