Release Upgrade Checklist for Database Agents
NOTE: The information in this article is not release-specific. You can reference it for any release
To make sure you complete all the tasks necessary for upgrading Database Agents after a release, we recommend following the upgrade checklist instructions below.
Table of Contents
Prepare to upgrade your Database Agents
- Review the Product Announcements and Alerts page for details on any intermediate versions between the current version of your instance and the version you are targeting.
- Review either of the following to confirm the compatibility of the various components of the AppDynamics environment:
Plan your Database Agent upgrade
- Review the Agent/Controller compatibility matrix for compatibility mappings between agents and Controller versions.
(1) Controller version supports through the most recent release of the Database Agent
|Supported Controller versions
||v20.3 - future releases
|DB Agent versions
||4.1 - 4.3 (1)
||4.1 - 4.4 (1)
||4.1 - 4.5 (1)
||4.1 - 20.x (1)(2)
(2) DB Agent is only compatible up to its corresponding Controller version
- Before upgrading, we recommend completing two backups:
- Backup your previous installation of the Controller.
- Backup the
<db_agent_home> directory so you can revert to the previous installation if required. To maintain the same configuration information, you will also need the
- If you are upgrading both the Controller and agents, upgrade the Controller before upgrading the agents.
- See Upgrade the Database Agent for important upgrade notes and step-by-step instructions.
For each database, you will need to configure the Database Collectors according to the database in your environment. See Add Database Collectors in the documentation.
Instructions for upgrading other AppDynamics components are available in our general How do I get started with upgrading AppDynamics components for any release?