cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSL certificate monitoring extension

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

We are using the SSL Monitoring Extension on a Windows server that makes use of a standalone machine agent.
The extension works for certain SSL Certificates and returns the expiration date and it can be viewed in the SaaS Controller UI through the Metric Browser.

I am hoping that someone else is using this extension on Windows and can give advice on the issue.

Issue:
For a large amount of the domains the agent does not post any metrics about the SSL certs and the agent logs the below.

Error we see in the agent log files:
<Server_host_name_redacted>==> [Thread-1520850] 15 Nov 2021 08:41:47,693 ERROR ProcessExecutor$ErrorReader - Process Error - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
<Server_host_name_redacted>==> [Monitor-Task-Thread6] 15 Nov 2021 08:41:47,693 ERROR SslCertificateProcessor - Error fetching expiration date for <Server_host_name_redacted>

Additional Details:
Agent: machineagent-bundle-64bit-windows-21.9.0.3184
Extension Link:
https://developer.cisco.com/codeexchange/github/repo/Appdynamics/ssl-certificate-monitoring-extensio...

Stackoverflow has posts mentioning the shortcomings of the Windows Open SSL, we are using cygwin64 with the extension already. 

Dietrich 

2 REPLIES 2

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Dietrich.Meier 

I spoke with some extensions people, and they suggested it's best to reach out to Support for this one.

Please do follow back up here with anything you may have learned from them, thanks!

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Yann.Buccellato
Builder

Hello,  @Dietrich.Meier  sorry to bother here - 

I'm curios to understand if the Synthetic Monitoring capability available from AppDynamics is capable of checking out of the box the SSL Certificate expiration date (I know ThousandEyes can do it).

Are you aware of it?
Or did you have to develop an entire extension just for this purpose?

Regards