cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Windows agent

Sam.Tarabishi
Creator

Hello,

I am having a hard time doing the installation and running/connecting the windows agent to the portal

I am having challenges locating working documentation. When I look at pre-requisites, I see some broken links to downloads like the Java 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/4.5.x/en/application-monitoring/install-app-server-agents/java-agent/in...

I used this document but seems stuck and I have no progress:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/4.5.x/en/infrastructure-visibility/network-visibility/network-visibilit...

Also if someone has any video with the correct link that would be a plus

Good day

9 REPLIES 9

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Sam.Tarabishi,

Thanks for asking your question on the Community. 

1. I have reported the broken link to the Docs team. I believe Downloads have moved inside the AppD product. You should be able to follow this link here - https://accounts.appdynamics.com/downloads

2. Can you tell me more about how/why you are getting stuck following the second link to the documentation you shared. The more I know, the more I can pass along this feedback to the Docs team. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Thanks for your feedback,

It is clear for me regarding the download, much appreciated.

Now regarding the windows agent installation, I look into pre-requisites, for instance, the Java agent, and look specifically into the readme file and am not sure how to install or run under Windows environment.

I even tried to run the windows agent but no luck. It is showing as a service but doesn't start (that is why I checked the pre-requisites).

As you can see I am stuck in a loop, that is why I asked if you have any video showing all this, as I might be missing something.

Good day

Hi @Sam.Tarabishi,

I want to make sure I'm getting this feedback to the right team or teams. Are you getting stuck in this loop from the Documentation or from the readme file that comes with the agent?

These would be two different teams, so I want to make sure I understand exactly where you are getting lost.

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi Ryan, it is mainly in the readme file, in my personal experience with applications the documentation resides in one place in one document.

for our case here you need to refer to each agent readme to figure out how to install it, which is not very clear to start with.

in any event the main document is simple and straight forward.

Good day

Hi @Sam.Tarabishi,

Thank you for getting back to me... one other confirmation question I got from the Docs team regarding what you are trying to do with the Documentation you are looking at. 

Are you having trouble installing the Java Agent on a Windows machine?

Thanks,

Hi @Sam.Tarabishi,

Please see my previous reply. We're trying to help but want a few things clarified. Please let me know. 

Thanks,

Hi again,

basically what happens is when i look into the requirement it takes me first to install Java agent.

once there i look into the read me file and get stuck there. so yes installing Java agent on windows, but as I mentioned earlier each step of the requirement is embedded in a way in each separate place rather being in one whole documents.

The other thing i find interesting is that you have a video for most of the pages in the portal except the installation

I checked with my manager since this product is quite good and customers are looking into it, i will be looking for training to get all these things sorted out.

thanks for your follow up 

Good day

Hello,

I have just started working on Java Agent documents but will do my best to address this. But first, I need to understand the root cause of it.
Could you please tell me where you are getting stuck in the documents?

I understand that our docs have multiple pages. Still, they are there to break the information into different levels and sub-levels for better understanding. For example, I'm attaching a screenshot where you can see different levels and sub-levels. We do this because every customer has a different setup, and we need to include as much info as possible, which might overwhelm readers who are looking for simple instructions. 

As far as I have understood, you are looking for install instructions, but then you were taken to the requirements page, and then each requirement is a big piece in itself. Yes, that's too much, but it is a necessary evil because, as I said, each customer has their deployment. So, I suggest you pick what's suited to you and ignore the rest. 

Also, please make sure that you are using the document version that applies to your agent. You can change the version easily on document pages; see screenshot for the same. 
Thank you!

Hello,

please note that i have put this project on hold as i advised earlier because i am checking the training cost and feasibility as partner because of all the challenges. To answer your question i went to the install the Java agent. i did not check other thing like appdynamics agent installer for streamline of the deployment 

st_appdynamics.PNG