cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disk attached to VM not showing up in AppD.

Justin.Matthew
New Poster

A new disk was attached to a windows server 2012. Restarted machine agent. Still the new disk not showing up in AppD under disks. Please assist. 

3 REPLIES 3

Rajesh.Ganapavarapu
AppDynamics Team

Hello Justin,

By default, the machine agent has been configured to monitor 5 volumes. But this value is configurable.

Could you please take a look at the configuration of volumeMonitorConfig section in the $MACHINE_AGENT_HOME/extensions/ServerMonitoring/conf/ServerMonitoring.yml file? It must be looking like:

volumeMonitorConfig:
    # maxNumberVolumes specifies the maximum number of volumes that the
    # machine agent will monitor.
maxNumberVolumes          : 5

# whitelistSelectorRegex specifies the regular expression used to whitelist reported volumes
    # by name. A volume with the name matching the regex will always be reported,
    # with respect to maxNumberVolumes
    whitelistSelectorRegex        : ""

This configuration means that the agent will show only 5 volumes by default which you see in your case. You can set a higher value to the maxNumberVolumes parameter and then restart the machine agent to see the configured no. of volumes in your machine.

PS: Please note that as mentioned under Volume Metrics section at latest doc 

There is no maximum value for maxNumberVolumes parameter in volumeMonitorConfig section in the $MACHINE_AGENT_HOME/extensions/ServerMonitoring/conf/ServerMonitoring.yml file.

You can set any value you want.

I hope this helps  

Cheers,

Rajesh Ganapavarapu

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for the reply to the above doubt. I would also like to know on what is the max number of volume a machine agent can observe? i.e. if a server has for example 300 Volumes/Storage disk. Will the machine agent be able to monitor them all or Does the limit end at around 50-60 volumes?

Regards,

Shashwat

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Shashwat .Pandey,

I found this AppD Docs page. Search the page for "Volume" to jump to the right sections.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/22.x/latest/en/infrastructure-visibility/server-visibility/machine...

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.