Error trying to import AppD plugin

Ulises.Martinez Uribe
AppDynamics Team

Hi team,

I'm am just trying to import the Appd plugin inside an android library:

apply plugin: 'com.android.library'
apply plugin: 'adeum' // this line added for AppDynamics

But always with this error:

A problem occurred configuring the project ':mylibrary'.
> Failed to notify the project evaluation listener.
> Transforms with scopes '[EXTERNAL_LIBRARIES, SUB_PROJECTS]' cannot be applied to library projects.
> Cannot cast object 'extension 'android'' with class 'com.android.build.gradle.LibraryExtension_Decorated' to class 'com.android.build.gradle.AppExtension'

I tried with a bunch of versions of Gradle and the plugin without a different outcome:

dependencies {
classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:4.0.0'
classpath 'com.appdynamics:appdynamics-gradle-plugin:20.7.1' // this line added for AppDynamics

From the 3.0.X of Gradle till the last one 4.1.0 (October 2020 )

From the plugin version --- 4.5.X till 20.10.2

Hope someone can help me with this issue

^ Edited by @Ryan.Paredez. I want to note this post was split off from this conversation: https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/End-User-Monitoring-EUM/Does-the-adeum-plugin-supports-library-...

2 REPLIES 2

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi all,

@Ulises.Martinez Uribe reached out to support and this was their response.

The AppDynamics Gradle plugin is complaining that it is being applied to a library, which is not supported. We only work with apps. Our instrumentation will be applied to any library that's linked in.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Team !!!

In fact I reached support and they told me that the android plugin is complaining that it is being applied to a library, which is not supported..

Why I was trying to instrument a library ?  well this is a specific use case that is not in the Appdynamics supported use cases...

The use case is the next one... My customer is a credit card payment system that allow other apps to import their libraries and use that functionality in their own apps (imagine you are a retail company and wants to implement credit card payment)

So that looks like a weird case, and the main questions are...

1.- who is gonna pay for the license ?

2.- who should be on charge of that monitoring.. ?

So the AppDy support team just told me that for that kind of things, we can instrument just the app not an independent library ....

end of the story