cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EURT page timings in SPA2 for Angular 5 application

I was monitoring the EURT timings reported in AD for the vitual pages in our application and have a couple questions regarding that.

1,  is it possible to exclude certain API calls when monitoring for browser activity to cease to set the end page timer. We have tealeaf, splunk and GA calls from the pages which should be in the background and not affect the time taken for the user to see the page. But I see that EURT is including those activities and I would like to eliminate them. 

2. The last event I see is the LoadEvent in the page timline. But when I monitor events on my pages I do not see the Load event firing. Does the window.load event fire for a SPA when doing a page to page navigation? I am monitoring both the window and document events in Chrome tools when doing a page to page navigation and do not see the Load event.  I see a big gap in the AD page timeline (sometimes a few seconds) between the previous activity and Load event for the page which is skewing the page metrics. So, I want to understand what AD looks for to mark the Laod Event. 

2 REPLIES 2

Chitra.Lal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Sangeetha,

Please find answer to your queries below: 

Reg 1. No we can not omit certain api calls from a page, if you istrument any page with js agent, all the internal calls will be monitored. If those api calls are being made in a different page than the main page, then you can skip injecting the JS code in that second page to omit these calls, but not otherwise.

Reg 2. What is the version of js agent that you are using? Ideally the End User Response Time (EURT) in modern browsers, those that support NavTiming, is calculated from the navigationStart to the loadEventEnd. Similarly, for older browsers, those which don't support NavTiming, the End User Response Time (PLT) is calculated from the writing of the starttime cookie on the previous page to the onloadevent. 

So for virtual pages, its more closely calculated as:

var perfData = window.performance.timing; var pageLoadTime = perfData.loadEventEnd - perfData.navigationStart;    

Hope this clarifies. Let me know in case that does not help. 

Thank You,

Chitra

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

We are using the following:

Angular 5, JS agent 4.5.1, Controller Agent 4.4.1

Are we able to call any APIs to set the start or end time for nav timning computation? The API calls which are used for monitoring purposes like analytics will not have an imapct on the user but do affect the EURT. So, if we are able to set the end time to denote when we consider a page as fully loaded, we may be able to better a more accurate measurement of the page response time.