cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NodeJS: Building project with appdynamics dependency on Mac M1

Nikolas.Xexenis
Explorer

Hi

I am building a Node project that includes appdynamics. It's built via Yarn and it fails at the appdynamics-native step:

Exit code: 1
Command: npm install request@2.40.0 fs-extra@2.0.0 tar@5.0.0 && node install.js appdynamics-native-native appdynamics-native 8373.0.0

I checked the install script for appdynamics-native. I found it gets the architecture string from process.arch and tries to match it against x64, win32, or ia32, and if it can't it returns null and then later exits with an error.

Presumably there's no arm64 build for appdynamics-native (I don't see arm64 on the supported OS for nodeJS page).  I can modify the install script to force the x64 download (which should be able to run via Rosetta) but Yarn will overwrite the changes during build. The only workaround I found that works is using NVM to install a x64 Node binary and then build the project but it's not great to have to run the whole thing via Rosetta rather than just this module. Does anyone know of a better approach?

3 REPLIES 3

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

Hi Nikolas

We have the same issue and just want to get my post in here so that I am subscribed to this when there is a fix. 
There is also already an enhancement request on the Idea Exchange for this also. 
Hope it gets looked at soon. 
Just got feedback from AppD support today on this:
"Unfortunately, we do not support Apple’s M chips, either ARM architectures for Node.js agents at this moment"

Dietrich 

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Dietrich.Meier,

Would you mind sharing the Idea Exchange request for @Nikolas.Xexenis - so they can choose to vote for it/subscribe to it so they get updates to that as well?

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

Hi

Here is the link to the Idea Exchange topic.
https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Node-JS-agent-build-support-on-Mac-M1/idc-p/49330...

Screenshot to path:

PathPath

Regards

Dietrich