cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server Instance Configuration

I'm trying to find documentation that states how we setup the controller for Database monitoring when dealing with a SQL Server instance (myserver\myinstance).  Does myserver\myinstance go into the hostname?  

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi Shane,

Does this AppD Docs page help? 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

No.  I've seen that link and it never talks about normal database instances.  There are sub collectors but I don't want to monitor multiple instances.  Just one named instance on a server that has others.  I can create a JDBC connection string if needed but this seems like such a basic scenario that I shouldn't have to?

Hi Shane,

Thanks for letting me know. I'll see if I can find other documentation/posts. Would you expect to see that sort of information on that link I sent you or in a subsequent sub page?

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

If I understand your question correctly then what you'll want to do is install a Database Agent on your Controller (or some other place where your DB server can reach). You can find a diagram of how it works here: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Overview+of+Database+Visibility

From there you can setup individual "collectors" inside the Controller GUI which essentially makes monitoring individual DBs agentless from a db server perspective. The notes on how to install the agent are here: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Install+the+Database+Agent

and once you have it up and correct sa permissions you setup the collectors for each individual db here: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Add+Database+Collectors

I've already completed all of the steps except the last one and I have read that documentation. 

The problem is when you do your final step to setup the collector it wants a host name.  If you have instances in SQL Server (for example myserver\myNamedInstance) then the host name ONLY gets you to the server.  You still need to tell it what your named instance is and I don't see anything in the documentation that says how to do THAT.

Hi Team ,

Is this sorted ? Even in our environment we have a similar case and need to know how to provide Instance name for SQL server. Can you please help .

Thanks 

Hi @Vishnu.Priya,

Others mentioned they were getting stuck even with the documentation. Can you help me point out what exact Doc is leaving this question unanswered? I'll share it with the Docs team to get it updated.

Thanks,

Hi @Ryan.Paredez,

In Controller configuration, we have the option to enter Hostname or IP of DB server. I would like to know if we have an option to mention the instance name of the DB server which needs to be monitored.

For Example (MSSQLSERVER@Host1, SQLP01@Host1,  SQLP02@Host1 ) when there are multiple instances can that be included too. 

Thanks.

Hi @Vishnu.Priya 

I unfortunately don't know the answer, but if you help me with what documentation is missing that information, I can get the process started to get it updated.

Thanks,