cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overall Application Performance Calls Per Minute

Luke.Thomas
Creator

Can someone please tell me exactly what Appdynamics classes as a "call" in the "calls per minute" section of the metric browser? This is for java app agent metrics

Screen attached.

calls.PNG

2 REPLIES 2

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hello @Luke.Thomas,

I found this existing AppD Documentation page. Check it out and let me know if it helps.

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Sunil.Agarwal
AppDynamics Team

Hi @Luke.Thomas , 
"Calls per Minute" is a metric that calculates the average number of incoming or outgoing calls within a minute, focusing on the connection between a node and its destination during a specified timeframe.

The concept of a "call" can take on different meanings depending on whether it is measured at the application or tier level. Let's understand this with an example:

Suppose you have an e-commerce website with multiple tiers, such as the frontend, backend, and database tiers. When we analyze the "Calls per Minute" metric at the application level (Overall Application Performance), a "call" would correspond to a complete business transaction made by a user on the website. For instance, when a user places an order, that action would be counted as one "call" at the application level.

However, at the tier level, a "call" would represent an individual service invocation within each tier. So, for the same user order example, when the frontend tier communicates with the backend tier to process the order, that interaction would be counted as one "call" at the frontend tier and another "call" at the backend tier.