cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting CONTROLLER_METADATA_REGISTRATION_LIMIT_REACHED error notification in controller

deepanshu.arya
Creator

Hi team,

We are getting the below error notification on contrtoller UI very frequently.

Severity
Error
Type
CONTROLLER_METADATA_REGISTRATION_LIMIT_REACHED
Time
12/28/17 11:43:17 AM
Summary
Limit reached for: BUSINESS_TRANSACTION; Scope: APPLICATION; Id: 7; Limit: 200

Please helpp us to resolve this error or let us know this is ignorable.

Regards,
Deepanshu
9 REPLIES 9

Pratik.Maskey
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Hi Deepanshu,

The event implies per application Business Transaction limit being hit. For more information, please refer docs link: 
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Business+Transactions#BusinessTransactions-btlimitsBusine...

The best practice to fix the BT is to logically group BTs using match rules. We can also exclude non-important BTs which will help in keeping BT count low from Controller perspective. This way you continue to receive diagnostic information in form of snapshots which provides very good visibility into the performance of the application without any possibility of any form of overhead. 
https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Organize+Business+Transactions

Thanks

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Pratik,

I have 57 Applications configured in my AppDynamics setup. How to identify which application reached maximum utilization of BTs?

Thanks,

Suresh Rapaka

^Minor edits to improve readability of post by @Ryan.Paredez, AppD Community Manager

Hi Suresh,

The error message you are getting contains the application ID:

Limit reached for: BUSINESS_TRANSACTION; Scope: APPLICATION; Id: 7; Limit: 200

This indicates that it is Application ID 7. To determine which application this is from the controller, go to an Applications dashboard, then inspect the URL - it will have the application ID as part of the URL. Continue until you find ID 7.

https://<your-instance>.appdynamics.com/controller/#/location=APP_DASHBOARD&timeRange=last_1_hour.BEFORE_NOW.-1.-1.60&application=87

In terms of the error, and whether you can ignore it - I would recommend that you don't ignore it. It is indicative of a Rule that has created multiple Business Transactions, and has encountered the limit. This will mean that there will be transactions that will not be being detected.

Mark

I am also getting that kind of error.

Error:- 

TYPE- CONTROLLER_METADATA_REGISTRATION_LIMIT_REACHED

TIME- 07-JAN-2020

SUMMARY- Limit reached for: BUSINESS_TRANSACTION; SCOPE: APPLICATION; ID: 7407; LIMIT:200

Thanks Mark, for the information. Now I could able to verify the application by entering the application ID in URL.

I'm receiving similar error for Service End Points like below:

Limit reached for: SERVICE_END_POINT; Scope: ACCOUNT; Id: 3; Limit: 6000

When I try to enter application ID in Service End Points dashboards, AppDynamics has thrown below error:

Invalid Account: Principal [Suresh.Rapaka], Entity [Type:APPLICATION, id:3].

Let me know how to check for Service End Points

Suresh

Hi Suresh,

This error looks like a permissions problem. Are you able to view the Service Points for other applications?

You could also try using the Id = 3 in the Business Transaction URL above, and this should take you to the correct application. If that doesn't work, then you might not be able to see that application at all.

Mark

Hi Mike,

Might be permission issue, but not sure. In Notification, I could see an error with Application Id 3. However when I search with application id 3 in Application Dashboard URL, it is saying Application with Id 3 doesn't exist. 

Also when I search with same Id in Business Transactions, throwing invalid account error

Invalid Account: Principal [Suresh.Rapaka], Entity [Type:APPLICATION, id:3].

Suresh Rapaka

Hi Suresh,

Not being able to see the business transactions for Id = 3 is consistent with not having access to that application, so that still may be the cause - of course if you have full access rights then it won't be!

If it isn't a permissions issue, then I think you're probably going to have to contact AppDynamics support as to why the error is being reported.

Mark

"Limit reached for: SERVICE_END_POINT; Scope: ACCOUNT; Id: 3; Limit: 6000

When I try to enter application ID in Service End Points dashboards, AppDynamics has thrown below error:

Invalid Account: Principal [Suresh.Rapaka], Entity [Type:APPLICATION, id:3]."

Looks like there is no Application ID 3. The error above references an Account ID of 3.

Hope this helps.