cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Health Rules by error summary

ivan4ee
Creator

I need to configure Health Rules for multiple business transactions and receive all exceptions from those. However, I have few exceptions that need to be excluded from alert and I do not want to receive alerts for them.

How can I setup that rule? AppDynamics is only giving me an option to filter by Name of exception and that is too generic as under FaultException there may be different errors.

createHealthRule.PNG

8 REPLIES 8

Pratik.Maskey
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

If you create a match rule it will only match the name of the exception which is type of exception

for example - FaultException. Alternatley you can create a health rule on Error Rate (do check the attached screens for your referance) as per your requirements you can apply rule by selecting only those exception which are required to get alerted and leaving those for which you dont want to get alerted.

Screen Shot 2017-07-05 at 6.31.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-05 at 6.32.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-05 at 6.32.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-07-05 at 6.33.08 PM.png

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi,

I'm aware that I can filter by specific type of exception, but in my case I need more detailed filtering by summary of exception.

Lets say we have couple of exceptions from type/name FaultException. Bellow are the examples:

1. System.ServiceModel.FaultException=communication error with gateway

2. System.ServiceModel.FaultException = Option Is Not Valid For Job Status

Second one is expected business exception and we want that excluded from notifications (alerts). If I exclude the whole type FaultException I would miss the real exceptions (in our case the 1st one)

I have the same use case.  There is a known SqlServerException error that I do not need to receive alerts on (i.e. 'error converting nvarchar to int'), however, I DO want to receive an alert and trigger a thread dump when I receive a 'Socket Closed'  exception.

Is there any way to filter on the details of the exception and not just the name?

Did anyone get a solution on it, I too have similar requirements where I need to configure alerts based on Exception Summary.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hello @Mahesh.shukla,

Have you seen this AppD documentation? https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/22.x/latest/en/application-monitoring/troubleshooting-applications...

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your prompt response !

yes, I have already seen this document. Requirement is to set the health rule based on Exception Summary NOT Exception Type/Exception name, which is not mentioned in the document neither I can see any option in UI for the same.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Mahesh.shukla,

Given how old this post is, it's unlikely anyone is going to respond to it. When a post is years old, it's better to ask the question fresh, you can even reference this post in the new one for context  (if it helps).

At this point, you may want to contact AppD Support. How do I submit a Support ticket? An FAQ 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.