cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration of APPDYNAMICS on load balancer

vivek.kumar
Wanderer

Hi,

I have an asp.net application with a load balancer which route the load  to two diffrent application server. All the request first reached to load balancer from load balancer it redirect the request top an ideal server. Can anyone help me that what all steps i need to follow to configure APPDYNAMICS for both the noades of load balancer.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Ashish.Singh
AppDynamics Team

Hi vivek.kumar,

If i understand correctly, you want to instrument the .Net applications, which are hosted on the two servers with the help of .Net agent, also both servers are present behind the load balancer.

So, To instrument the applications on the servers, first, you need to install the .Net Agent on both the servers. You can download the latest available .Net agent agent from following download portal - https://download.appdynamics.com/download/

Once you download the .Net Agent , please follow the below document to install and configure the agent on the server.

Install the .NET Agent

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Install+the+.NET+Agent

Configure the .NET Agent

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Configure+the+.NET+Agent

To report the data metrics ( which are collected by the agent) , you can use  SaaS controller or OnPromise controller. In the controller UI, you will be able to see the metrics inform of Business Transaction etc.

For details about overview, please refer the following document.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Overview+of+Application+Monitoring

Please let us know, if you have any question.

Thanks,

Ashish.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for your support. I had already done the confugration in same manner as suggested by you, But due to some strange reason in controller only one node of server is visible. Its not showing second node.

Thanks

Hi vivek.kumar,

Thanks for the update.

To understand and troubleshoot the issue further, please provide us the below details - 

1. Could you please verify if you are able to see any of the worker process running on the server. Please verify on the server for which you are not seeing the node on the controller UI ? For reference screenshot attched.
  2. Could you please run the below tasklist commands using command prompt with "Run as Adminstrator", on the server for which you are seeing the issue also, provide us the output for the review in private message.
     tasklist /m Appd*
     tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq w3wp.exe" /m
  3. Also, could you please share the zip of complete DotNetAgent folder located at %ProgramData%\AppDynamics or if you have changed the default location then provide the same to troubleshoot further. This is a hidden folder and can be found at the following location:

Windows Server 2008 and later %ProgramData%\AppDynamics\DotNetAgent

Windows Server 2003 %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\AppDynamics\DotNetAgent

I have sent the SFTP details to you in a private mesage. Please upload the DotNetAgent and tasklist output details in text formate for the review.

Please let us know, if you face any issue, while uploading the logs or you have aany question.

Thanks,

Ashish.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hi Ashish

Thanks for support. Actually i hadnt hosted my application in IIS. I have a window service which is hosting some WCF services. I want trace data for WCF services hosted by window service. I am sending you  complete DotNetAgent folder for both the server in few minutes.

Thanks

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for providing the logs seems issue is happening on the Node "VBS-CHD-WBSRV3" and application is reporting fine on node "VBS-CHD-WBSRV2".

We observe the below warnign message so many times in Node "VBS-CHD-WBSRV3" logs and it is referring to the Machine Snapshot. So, It should not be affecting application reporting to the controller.

2017-07-06 15:37:10.1361 18240 AppDynamics.Coordinator 1 12 Warn IISAppPoolDataSource Machine snapshot can only contain 200 app pools, the rest will be dropped.

Also, we do not see the agent was able to hook in to the application process. Due to that agent does not report the application data metric.

Please perform following  - 

• Please let us know if continuous load is hitting to the application on the server ? if not then please apply some manual load on the application in this application, so that the request hit to the application and let us know if the visibility improves.
  • In case after applying the continuous load as well as manual load, application is still not getting reported, please provide following  -  
    1. Run the AppDynamics Agent Configuration Utility from All Programs, on Log directory permissions tab, add the user accounts under which the instrumented application (OTSESBServiceHost.exe) is running and complete that setup.
    2. Restart Appdynamics agent coordinator windows service.
    3. Restart Instrumented application. 
    4. Apply manual load couple of times on the application, so the all the functionality of the application gets executed few times. 
    5. Once you see the tier/node registered on the controlller UI, Please create the custom match rule,POCO entry point to initiate the Business Transaction.For more details, refer the following document-  https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Custom+Match+Rules
    6. After creating the POCO rules please restart appddynamics agent coordinator service and instrumented applications again and apply fresh load. 
    7. This should start registering the BTs. 
    8. In case of any further issues please upload latest zip of DotnetAgent folder again on same SFTP url for the review.
    9. Also, provide the output for below 2 commands from command prompt (run with Administrator account)  for further review:
                  tasklist /m Appd*
                  tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq OTSESBServiceHost.exe" /m

Thanks,

Ashish.

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for providing the requested details.

From the provided details, we see that agent is not able to hook into the OTSESBServiceHost.exe application's process. It is the reason agent is not able to intrument the application.

Could you apply the below steps and provide the output details - 

• Please run the below command and get the process id 
    tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq OTSESBServiceHost.exe" /m
  •  After that run the powershell with run as administrator, where XXX is the process id which you get from the above command.
(Get-Process -id XXX).StartInfo.EnvironmentVariables

Thanks,

Ashish