cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tools.jar is in the JVM classpath for oracle JVM but AppDynamics not able to find it

Easwar.C
New Poster

Hi,

We have installed AppDynamics and we are using Oracle JVM and added tools.jar under tomcat lib, and java JRE lib also but when we try to check on object tracking we are still seeing 

tools.jar is not in the JVM classpath 

any help to resolve this is appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9

MARTINA.MELIANA
AppDynamics Team

Hi @‌Easwar.C,

Thank you for posting to the community.

Is your jar file being placed under the path : JRE_HOME>/lib/ext as indicated in perquisite for Object instance Tracking?

Also, When using the JDK runtime environment, we need to set the classpath using the -classpathoption for the application.

After these setting. restart the JVM.

Moreover, it is worth to check whether the user that currently running the JVM has access to read the jar file. Cause this error could be triggered when permission denied.

Hope this helps,

Martina

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Easwar.C,

Have you been able to review the comment your post got? If it helped, please click the 'Accept as Solution" button on the reply that helped. If no, reply back to the thread and keep the conversation going. 

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

I have updated tomcat.service with tools.jar but it is still not working.

Environment='JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -javaagent:/opt/appdynamics/javaagent.jar -Dappdynamics.agent.applicationName=biznuvo_test1_node2 -Dappdynamics.agent.tierName=biznuvo_test1_node2 -Dappdynamics.agent.nodeName=biznuvo_test1_node2-i-0e42a26c009127da0 -Dappdynamics.agent.uniqueHostId=biznuvo_TEST1_node2_ip-172_31_31_131 -Xbootclasspath:/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-1.8-oracle-x64/jre/lib/ext/tools.jar'

Sorry for the delay I'm still having issues I have posted my update.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @MARTINA.MELIANA,

Can you check out the latest reply from @Easwar.C?

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Hello @Easwar.C, Cc: @Ryan.Paredez @MARTINA.MELIANA 

Thanks for your reply.

As per our documentation, could you please try using -Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/lib/jvm/jdk-1.8-oracle-x64/jre/lib/ext/tools.jar instead to see how it goes?

Doc: https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/onprem/24.x/24.7/en/application-monitoring/tiers-and-nodes/monitor...

When using the JDK runtime environment, set the classpath using the -classpath option for the application. For example:

• On Windows:
    java -classpath <complete-path-to-tools.jar>;%CLASSPATH% -jar myApp.jar
  • On Unix:
    java -Xbootclasspath/a:<complete-path-to-tools.jar> -jar myApp.jar

Regards,

Xiangning

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Easwar.C,

Can you confirm if the latest reply helped answer your post or not? If not, reply back and keep the conversation going. 

Thanks,

Still same error also our application has multiple jars.

Hello @Easwar.C 

Could you please confirm whether the tools.jar is in the correct path which should be your JAVA_HOME in the OS?

I tested with JDK8 and tomcat and I could see object instance tracking in my controller normally.

I attached the screenshots of my configuration and result as references.

Test result.pngTest configuration.png

On a side note, you can open a case with AppD support, please kindly look through the article to raise a case if necessary.

https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/AppDynamics-is-migrating-our-Support-case-handli...

How do I open a case with AppDynamics Support?  

First, make sure that you have access to Cisco SCM by having a valid Cisco.com account. If you were part of the migration this should have been done automatically for you. If still you need to request a Cisco.com account, please refer to the earlier communication about User Identity changes found here. 

Make your way to the AppDynamics portal on appdynamics.com/support. When you log in to the AppDynamics portal you will be automatically redirected to Cisco SCM. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Xiangning