cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health rule alert based on custom metric

Andre.Penedo
Creator

Hi, I have created a custom metric to monitor the tablespace usage for Oracle databases that selects two columns, the tablespace name and used percent: "select tablespace_name,used_percent from dba_tablespace_usage_metrics".

In the metrics browser it will show me a list of items which are the tablespaces:

AndrePenedo_0-1704837165623.png

On the health rule I try to specify the relative metric path but it is not being evaluated, I don't want to use the first option because new tablespaces are constantly created and I would like this to work in a dynamic way. My intention is to send an alert when the used_percent column is above a certain threshold for any of the tablespaces.

AndrePenedo_0-1704837512462.png

1 REPLY 1

Martina.Meliana
Creator

Hi Andre.Penedo,

Thanks for posting on community.

Analysis:
Seems like you are attempting to create a health rule using wildcard to enable dynamic database monitoring.

Answer:
Unfortunately, it's not possible to create a Health Rule that dynamically evaluates data from different tablespaces in AppDynamics. I tried to recreate your condition and make health rules using wildcards. However, it appears that specifying metrics using wildcards is only supported for JVM, machine, and CLR branches, and not for database custom metrics.

Use Wildcards in Metric Definitions
Specifying metrics using wildcards, is only supported in JVM, machine, and CLR branches.

Suggestion:
Currently, the best approach is to create individual health rules for each known tablespace, as you might have aware of. This ensures monitoring but requires manual updates when new tablespaces are added.

However, This could be a valuable enhancement for future releases.How about submitting this as request to our Idea Exchange?

Hope this help.

Regards,

Martina