cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to create an infrastructure disk utilization report for a Hadoop cluster

fillmore
Explorer

I have been asked to create a weekly report with hourly observations for disk storage utilization within a Hadoop cluster.  The cluster has 6 data nodes and each node has 8 HDFS disk devices.  Each data node has two additional disk devices for o/s which I want to exclude.

Generating a Secheduled Report doesn't appear to have sufficient flexibility to exclude the o/s disk devices.  I have tried to use the On Demand reporting tool, but I have to laboriously add each disk one-at-a-time for each of the 6 data nodes.

After the first node, adding each subsequent disk takes more than a minute.  At about node three, the reporting tool chokes and dies.

There has to be a better way.  Is the AppD data repository schema externalized so I can write a query using a SQL statement or some other API to retrieve the data I want?

I appreciate the help.

2 REPLIES 2

Yogesh.Chouk
AppDynamics Team

Hi,

Can you try creating a custom dashboard and configure it with the specific nodes as per your requirement. Once it is created, schedule a report for this dashboard and let us know if that helps.

For more information, please folllow 

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Dashboards+and+Reports

Thanks,

Yogesh

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Yogesh,

Thank you for the response.  I have tried to create a custom report.  The problem is that when using the AppD console UI, as I add each additional disk (8 disks per node, 22 data nodes in the largest cluster) the UI slows to the point that it's unusable.  I understand that there are a lot of data points (8 x 22 x 168 hourly observations for a week).  Is there a problem with memory or some other configurable parameter so the I can use the UI sucessfully?

I can set up a GoToMeeting session for you so I can demonstrate the problem.

Thanks,

Frank