cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mathematical Expression for Custom MQ Health Rule Metric Not Working

Alicia.Barajas
Adventurer

We have installed the AppDynamics IBM MQ plugin\extension.  I'm trying to set the custom mq health rules condition using mathematical expression so that an alert is sent out if the current queue depth is greater than 10% of the maximum queue depth.  I have followed instructions on these 2 URLs >>> https://community.appdynamics.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-create-a-low-disk-space-alert-based-on-bo... and https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO44/Configure+Health+Rules#ConfigureHealthRules-ToBuildanExpr... but neither seem to work.  This is how I have set up one of them.

Queue 3:   Max queue depth is 100.  I want to be alerted if the current queue reaches or goes over 10% of the max queue depth.

Queue 3 Mathematical Expression:  ({CurrentQueueDepth} / ({MaxQueueDepth} + {CurrentQueueDepth}))*100.  With "is > Specific Value" set at 10 (10%).

--- This does not seem to work for me --- 

Queue 2:   Max queue depth is 100.  I want to be alerted if the current queue reaches or goes over 10% of the max queue depth.

Queue 2 Mathematical Expression:  (({CurrentQueueDepth} / ({MaxQueueDepth} + {CurrentQueueDepth}))*100.  With "is > Specific Value" set at 10 (10%).

--- This isn't working for me either ---

Am I missing a step or is there something wrong with the mathematical expression?  I tried attaching a word document with screen shots but kept getting error messages.

3 REPLIES 3

Yogesh.Chouk
AppDynamics Team

Hi Alicia,

Can you please let us know that the health rule is not working means it is not evaluating or it is evaluating incorrectly.

1. If it is not just able to evaluate, please share the controller server logs along with the relevant screenshots of the health rule configurations.

2. If it is evaluating incorrectly, please try below conditions and check the behavior
({CurrentQueueDepth}/{MaxQueueDepth})*100.

Thanks,
Yogesh

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Yogesh,

The machine agent was down.  After I started it, it started sending out the notifications after using the expression you sent. 

Thanks for your help!

Alicia

Hi Alicia,

I'm working on the MQ health rules in our Appdynamics. Currently, we use a custom health rules entity which doesn't allow a relative path in the entities. How did you set up the health rules? Were you able to create dynamic entities based upon a relative path like QMGR|QUEUES|*|?

Thanks.

Best,

Todo.