cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machine Agent unable to register to the Appd SaaS Controller - Connection timed out

ak-amal.Kumar

Hi Team, 

I am trying to install the Machine Agent on a Unix Machine hosted in AWS .  Installation is fine, i can see the Appd Machine Agent service up and running. But it is not getting registered to the controller . 

When i check the logs, it shows up a Timed out error.  Is there anything specific i need to do for AWS Ec2 instances that has machine agents installed there 

7 REPLIES 7

Mario.Morelli
Architect

Hi Ak-mal

If the machine agent process is up and running, check the following

1. Connectivity from your ec2 instance to the AppDynamics Controller(telnet , Curl etc.)

2. Validate that you have added the machine agent configuration details with the controller host, port, ssl enabled, account and access key info in the controller-info.xml file

Ciao

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Learn more about me in the Community Member Spotlight Q & A

I have checked the telnet 443 , it is connecting fine.  I have checked the configurations. all looks fine. 

Is there any specific license needed from the controller to connect to the Amazon ec2 instances.  and will there be an issue with the user which is running the machine agent 

Mario.Morelli
Architect

Hi, where the machine agent runs is of no concern to AppDynamics. It makes no difference if running in aws, on premise etc.

As long as the user that runs the machine agent process has permissions to read/write to the machine agent directory that's fine.

Can you share your controller-info.xml configuration(Just remove sensitive info), want to check something

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

<controller-info>
<!-- For more detailed information on different configurations that an agent can support and the respective rules,
consult the online documentation. In general, configuration properties may be set in different ways. Here is the
order of precedence of how the agent will read and respect specific configurations.
1. Environment Variables
2. System Properties
3. Default/Root controller-info.xml. See .../$(Agent-Base-Install-Dir)/conf/controller-info.xml -->

<!-- This is the host name or the IP address of the AppDynamics Controller (e.g., 192.168.1.22 or myhost or
myhost.abc.com). This is the same host that you use to access the AppDynamics browser-based User interface. This can
be overridden with the environment variable 'CONTROLLER_HOST_NAME' or the system property
'-Dappdynamics.controller.hostName' -->
<controller-host>xxxx</controller-host>

<!-- This is the http(s) port of the AppDynamics Controller. If 'controller-ssl-enabled' (below) is set to true, you
must specify the HTTPS port of the Controller; otherwise, specify the HTTP port. The default values are 8090 for
HTTP and 8181 for HTTPS. This is the same port that you use to access the AppDynamics browser-based User interface.
This can be overridden with the environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_CONTROLLER_PORT' or the system property
'-Dappdynamics.controller.port' -->
<controller-port>443</controller-port>

<!-- This specifies if the AppDynamics agent should use SSL (HTTPS) to connect to the Controller. If you set this to
true, the controller port property above should be set to the HTTPS port of the Controller. This can be overridden
with the environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_CONTROLLER_SSL_ENABLED' or the system property
'-Dappdynamics.controller.ssl.enabled' -->
<controller-ssl-enabled>true</controller-ssl-enabled>

<!-- Set this flag to 'true' to enable features required for AppDynamics Orchestration, including the following:
1) Enables the agent to execute tasks specified in AppDynamics Orchestration workflows.
2) Enables the agent to resolve the AppDynamics Controller host and port when the host machine where this agent
resides is created through AppDynamics Orchestration. -->
<enable-orchestration>false</enable-orchestration>

<!-- The Machine Agent uses the Java API to get the host name of the agent. The results from the API can be
inconsistent, and the same JVM can sometimes return a different value for the same machine each time the machine
agent is restarted. It is recommended to set this field in the following scenarios:

1) The machine host name is not constant
2) You prefer to use a specific name in the UI
3) The machine has both a machine agent and app agents on it.

This can be overridden with the environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_UNIQUE_HOST_ID' or the system property
'-Dappdynamics.agent.uniqueHostId' -->
<unique-host-id>xxxx</unique-host-id>

<!-- This key is generated at installation time and can be found by viewing the license information in the
controller settings. This can be overridden with the environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_ACCOUNT_ACCESS_KEY' or
the system property '-Dappdynamics.agent.accountAccessKey' -->
<account-access-key>xxxxxx</account-access-key>

<!-- If the AppDynamics Controller is running in multi-tenant mode or you are using the AppDynamics SaaS Controller,
you must specify the account name for this agent to authenticate with the controller. If you are running in
single-tenant mode (the default) there is no need to configure this value. This can be overridden with the
environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_AGENT_ACCOUNT_NAME' or the system property '-Dappdynamics.agent.accountName' -->
<account-name>xxxxx</account-name>

<!-- If this agent is licensed for Server Monitoring, set this flag to 'true' to enable Server Monitoring expanded
metrics. This can be overridden with the environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_SIM_ENABLED' or the system property
'-Dappdynamics.sim.enabled' -->
<sim-enabled>true</sim-enabled>

<!-- If this machine is sap machine , set this flag to 'true' to enable is sap flag for ibl licensing
This can be overridden with the environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_IS_SAP_MACHINE' or the system property
'-Dappdynamics.is.sap.machine' -->

<is-sap-machine></is-sap-machine>

<!-- This value is used to create the hierarchy infrastructure view in the UI for this machine. Each hierarchy level
should be separated with a vertical bar ("|"). For example, if this machine belongs to "DataRack1" and it is located
in "Virginia Data Center", then the machine path could be set to "Virginia Data Center|DataRack1|Machine1" and the
UI will display it in that hierarchy ("Virginia Data Center|DataRack1"). The last element of the path indicates the
server name (e.g., "Machine1") and appears as the name on the servers list in the UI. This can be overridden with
the environment variable 'APPDYNAMICS_MACHINE_HIERARCHY_PATH' or the system property
'-Dappdynamics.machine.agent.hierarchyPath'.

Note: The number of characters up to but not including the last vertical bar must not exceed 95. -->
<machine-path></machine-path>

</controller-info>

Ok, unless you mistyped anything, it should be all good.

You have SIM Licenses available in the controller as well correct?

Can you possibly zip the logs and share it privately, would need to see the full log to see what is happening.

Yes, we do have the Sim licenses available. let me try to share you the logs. 

akamalKumar_0-1694567759703.png

this is the machine-agent logs which i get after installing the machine agent on the ec2 Linux server