cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create custom action in SaaS controller.

Ashish.Saxena
Discoverer

I want to trigger custom actions from Appdynamics to Ansible, This required to create custom action on controller but we have SaaS controller. Please advise how would I create the same.

7 REPLIES 7

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

Hi Ashish

I have not come across a good working example of this for executing something in Ansible. 
Way back when I last tried to get this working there was a limitation for custom actions that required the host server to be Linux. Not sure if that has been changed. 

Check out this link.
https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/23.x/latest/en/appdynamics-essentials/alert-and-respond/actions/re...

Prerequisites for Local Script Actions

• The Machine Agent must be installed running on the host on which the script executes. To see a list of installed Machine Agents for your application, click View machines with machine-agent installed in the bottom left corner of the remediation script configuration window.
  • To be able to run remediation scripts, the Machine Agent must be connected to an on-premises Controller or to a SaaS Controller via SSL. Remediation script execution is disabled if the Machine Agent connects to a SaaS Controller on an unsecured (non-SSL) HTTP connection.
  • The Machine Agent OS user must have full permissions to the script file and the log files generated by the script and/or its associated child processes.
  • The script must be placed in <agent install directory>\local-scripts.
  • The script must be available on the host on which it executes.
  • Processes spawned from the scripts must be daemon processes.

I have YAML script, can i execute this using above steps?

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

Hi Ashish

The documentation only shows an example with a .sh script.
Please test your YAML script in a non-prod environment if possible and let us know how it turned out. 

Regards 

Hi Guys,

Any success on this? Also I was checking the server module and in document it says Remediation actions are not available for servers. Any idea how we can call remediation script in Servers.

Regards,

Gopikrishnan R.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Gopikrishnan.Ravindran,

I don't know if you have SaaS or On-prem, but here is a Docs link to SaaS you should check out. https://docs.appdynamics.com/appd/24.x/24.2/en/appdynamics-essentials/alert-and-respond/actions/reme...

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Ryan,

I have a Saas controller. The problem here is my machine agent is not associated to any application and my healthrule which needs to trigger the remediation action is created under Server module. Ideally when healthrule violates I want the to run the script. Can you suggest any way for this.

Regards,

Gopikrishnan R.

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Gopikrishnan.Ravindran,

Since the Community was not able to jump in and help, you can try contacting AppDynamics Support: How do I submit a Support ticket? An FAQ 

If you get or find a solution, can you please share your solution here as a reply?

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.