cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP Data Collector - How to know the HTTP Params name

Abhinav.Galodha
Architect

My Question is simmilar to this question.

I couldn't follow the documentation and wasn't able to figure out how to define the HTTP params in an HTTP Data Collector.

I have a .net web API which has method signature like the following code. Also, the method can be used over Get & POST. The Parameters can be passed in the request body as a JSON in the POST request or over the url in a Get Request. What should be HTTP parameter name in these situations? Does it refers to the parameters of JSON body?

public HttpResponseMessage MethodName(HttpRequestMessage request)

public IHttpAsyncResult MethodName(HttpRequestMessage request)

Is it simmilar to HttpRequest.Params property which contains QueryString, Form, Cookies, and ServerVariables items ?

3 REPLIES 3

Ashish.Singh
AppDynamics Team

Hi Abhinav,

Thanks for contacting support.

If I understand correctly from the context, do you want capture the values of the properties defined under the HttpRequestMessage class from your request ? If yes. then you can configure the Method invocation data collector on the Class /MethodName to extract the values from the request object.

For more details for the Method invocation data collector, please refer the below document.

https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO43/Data+Collectors

If you want to collect the HTTP parameter passed over the request in the specific BT, then you can configure the HTTP request data collector and for this you can first verify what are the parameters passed over the request,  through below configuration  under the HTTP request data collector section. 

Display Name = HTTP All
HTTP Parameter Name = *

Please refer the screenshot attached, how the result will come.

You can review the all the available HTTP Parameter and then define the parameter separately as per your scenarios

Please let us know, if i misunderstood anything or you have any question.

Thanks,

Ashish.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Abhinav.Galodha
Architect

I have been able to see all the request Parameters using the Parameter.

However, i need a confirmation from the team if it is correct to assume that HTTP Parameters would represent HttpRequest.Params property which contains QueryString, Form, Cookies, and ServerVariables items?

Hi Abhinav,

Yes, all the HTTP paramter which you are seeing after configuring Parameter, are basically represent the NameValue paire collection of HttpRequest.Params property.

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.