cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a variable in DashStudio?

Chris.Byrne
Creator

I'm very interested in using the dashboard variable feature. However, the documentation on how to use it is sparse (ref: https://docs.appdynamics.com/display/PRO45/Dashboard+Variables). I've tried to use it in both a metric and an ADQL query.

In the metric, it lets me choose the variable in the application dropwdown (i have it as an application) - but the 3rd linked dropdown does not activate. Note that I do have a default set.

In the ADQL query, I can't find a way to introduce the variable. My variable name is ChosenApp, which shows at the top as $ChosenApp, I've taken a valid query that produces data:

SELECT series(eventTimestamp, "30m"), count(*) FROM transactions where application = "RealAppName"

and tried to get it to take the variable - to no avail. Items I've tried replacing "RealAppName" with include:

$ChosenApp
"$ChosenApp"
ChosenApp
"ChosenApp"
"{ChosenApp}"
"{$ChosenApp}"
{ChosenApp}
{$ChosenApp}
"@ChosenApp"
@ChosenApp

I'm out of ideas on both and google was no additional help. Is anyone able to provide further instruction on what to try?

4 REPLIES 4

Brian.Zaik

Hi Chris,

So sorry for your frustration here. We will look to improve the documentation. This should be the correct syntax: "${RealAppName}"

as in: SELECT series(eventTimestamp, "30m"), count(*) FROM transactions where application = "${RealAppName}"

That did it, marking as the answer.  Dang I was all around this answer - just not on it.

Can the variable also be used in a text box widget?

Hi Keith, This is not yet supported. We will go back and improve the Label widget soon.