cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powershell Official Cmdlets Return Unexpected Result

David.Jefferd
Explorer

Greetings. I am testing the appdynamics.psm1 official module, attempting to poll my servers for the presence and version of the AppD agent. Module sourced from:

https://www.appdynamics.com/community/exchange/extension/dotnet-agent-installation-with-remote-manag...

Using the Get-Agent cmdlet on

1) A live server with an appd agent, and

2) A live server without an appd agent

I get the same answer: Version 0.0.0.0.

The reason is that the function Get-Agent *assumes* that any server that can be pinged (Test-ComputerConnection) must therefore have a valid AppD registry entry. However, the test server I used actually both has a working AppD agent AND does not have a valid registry entry. The code does not account for this, and returns a 0.0.0.0 value. I am going to have to change the official code to get any use out of it. Could an AppD developer please add further resilience to their official cmdlet?

Thanks. 

1 REPLY 1

Thiru.Chidambaram
AppDynamics Team

Hi David,

Thanks for contacting AppDynamics. Please let us know which agent version is installed in your servers. The commandlet is looking for the registry key 

HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall with a Displayname value equals to AppDynamics .Net Agent. If it can't find that entry, 0.0.0.0 is returned, which means no agent is installed. 

So, in a machine where no agent is installed, the response you got is expected. However, in the machine where the agent is installed, these registry entries must be present. So, we have to understand why those registry entries are not created. If the registry entries are corrupt, they can be fixed by launching the Appdynamics configuration wizard (from start menu).

-Thiru

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.