Knowledge Base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I build an extension?

AppDynamics extensions are divided into three broad categories: Monitoring extensions, Alerting extensions, and Cloud Connector extensions

Monitoring Extensions

• These extensions run as monitors on AppDynamics Machine Agent and report metrics from an artifact to AppDynamics Controller.
  • Examples of these are Cassandra Extension and  Memcached Extension

• A guide to building monitoring extensions using Java and Shell Scripts can be found in the product documentation here and here respectively. 

Alerting Extensions

• These extensions are integrations that run as custom actions on the AppDynamics Controller.
  • Most of these alerting extensions work only for dedicated (single-tenant) SaaS Controller or on-premises Controllers.

• Examples of these are PagerDuty Extension and VictorOps Extension.

Cloud Connector Extensions 

• These extensions enable custom implementations of orchestration functionalities such as creating, destroying, restarting, configuring, and validating machine and image instances directly from the AppDynamics Controller user interface.
  • Example of this is AWS Cloud Connector Extension. 

• A guide to building cloud connector extension can be found here.

Find more information in the AppDynamics Exchange.

Version history
Revision #:
7 of 7
Last update:
‎09-10-2018 03:16 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
Comments
stefan.siegl

Hey guys,

I built a monitoring extension to monitor Apache Geode / Pivotal Gemfire. Any chance you might want to add this to the list of community plugins? I could provide support. I published this extension here: https://github.com/stefansiegl/appdynamics-gemfire-monitoring-extension and wrote a blog post here: http://blog.novatec-gmbh.de/appdynamics-monitoring-extension-pivotal-gemfire-apache-geode/ 

I am not sure if I do get notifications from this forum, you can also contact me at stefan.siegl@novatec-gmbh.de

Cheers,

Stefan

Bhuvnesh.Kumar

Hello Stefan,

Looks like we are having issues while building your extension.

You are using some dependencies with scope test, which in this case will not work. Could you please rectify this so that we can go ahead and publish this extension.

Thank you,

Bhuvnesh

alakshya.maheria

Hi Team,

I have created an alerting extension for HP Service Manager based on ServiceNow Rest API Alerting extension but allows to create incident for Health Rule Voilations and Other Events. Please let me know if this can be accepted for publishing. If yes, let me know the process to upload.

Thanks,

Alakshya

Jack.Ginnever
Alakshya,

I am interested in how you did the extension. Did you use HTTP Request
Templates?

Thanks,

Jack
Bhuvnesh.Kumar

Hi Alakshya,

Please send an email to help@appdynamics.com and add all the information related to the extension.

Thanks, 

Bhuvnesh

alakshya.maheria

Hi Bhuvnesh,

Thanks. Will do that.

Hi Jack,

Used the HPSM Rest API Call to modify the ServiceNow Rest API Alerting Extension. I will share the code in few days and update.

Regards,

Alakshya

Jack.Ginnever
Thanks Alakshya. I have built an HP extension too. But I built a web
service to receive the Rest call and then call the opcmsg program to send
the alert to HPOM. I'm not familiar with the HPSM Rest API. Is that
documented somewhere?

Jack
alakshya.maheria

Hi Jack,

The earlier releases of HPSM used SOAP and rest has been newly introduced. I will place the code on github and share the link.

Regards,

alakshya.maheria

Hi Jack,

You can check the extension source at https://github.com/alakshyam/hpsm-restapi-alerting-extension

Regards,