cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Triggering script on Health rule violation - Real time use cases

Saad.Ahmed
Creator

Hello Everyone,

Recently I got to know about a feature in AppDynamics where we can trigger scripts on a HR violation.

I am really excited to use this functionality for our project. I am looking for some real time use cases where this has been implemented and has resolved a great problem.

1. Currently I have written a script where I will be restarting an application when ever it goes down (App Availability HR get violated). This has been working successfully.

2. I have also written a script to purge the old logs when disk space utilization goes above certain threshold. This works fine as well.

I am looking for some other use cases where this has been used or can be used. It would be really great if I can get suggestions and ideas on this.

Thank You,

Saad.

1 REPLY 1

Sunil.Agarwal
AppDynamics Team

@Saad.Ahmed , AppDynamics has a feature to configure an action to run Remediation Scripts.  Here are some real-time use cases where a script can be triggered on a Health Rule violation:

1. CPU utilization: Trigger a script to analyze the processes that are consuming CPU resources and optimize the system.
  2. Memory usage: Trigger a script to analyze the memory usage and take appropriate actions such as garbage collection or memory optimizations.
  3. Network latency: Trigger a script to analyze network latency and take appropriate actions such as network optimizations or switching to alternative communication protocols.
  4. Database connectivity: Trigger a script to run diagnostics to identify and fix connectivity issues.
  5. Automatic scaling:  Trigger a script to scale up or down resources based on health rule violations whenever the tool detects a high traffic load on a web server.
  6. Garbage collection: Trigger a script to analyze the garbage collection patterns and take appropriate actions such as optimizing memory usage.
  7. Security breaches: Trigger a script to alert the security team and take appropriate actions such as blocking the attacker's IP address.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
Sunil Agarwal