cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems .net 5 WebAPI unable to instrument using .NET Core for Linux SDK

Hello, I have a net 5 WebAPI deployed in a docker linux container. I want to instrument the application in AppDynamics. The application works and I test it everytime with swagger

I've tried 2 implementations

1. Install the .NET Core Microservices Agent for Windows -> https://docs.appdynamics.com/4.5.x/en/application-monitoring/install-app-server-agents/net-agent/net...
  2. .NET Core for Linux SDK -> https://docs.appdynamics.com/21.5/en/application-monitoring/install-app-server-agents/net-agent/net-...

The first scenario didn't work for me I got a consistent error, a single log line saying "use clr profiler", 

The second does nothing at all I have no feedback what so ever and no log is created

This is my Docker configuration

"Docker": {
"commandName": "Docker",
"launchBrowser": true,
"launchUrl": "{Scheme}://{ServiceHost}:{ServicePort}/Swagger",
"environmentVariables": {
"CORECLR_PROFILER": "{57e1aa68-2229-41aa-9931-a6e93bbc64d8}",
"CORECLR_ENABLE_PROFILING": "1",
"CORECLR_PROFILER_PATH": "/app/bin/Debug/net5.0/runtimes/linux-64/native/libappdprofiler.so",
"APPDYNAMICS_LOG_PATH": "/app/bin/Debug/net5.0"
},
"publishAllPorts": true,
"useSSL": true
}

And this is the app dynamics configuration
{
"feature": [
"FULL_AGENT"
],
"controller": {
"host": "MYHOST.saas.appdynamics.com",
"port": 443,
"account": "myAccount",
"password": "mypassword",
"ssl": true,
"enable_tls12": true
},
"application": {
"name": "myapplicationname",
"tier": "my-appliation-tier",
"node": ""
},
"log": {
"directory": "/app/bin/Debug/net5.0",
"level": "ALL"
}
}

11 REPLIES 11

Ryan.Paredez
Community Manager

Hi @Maximiliano.Guillen,

I found this info - please let me know if it helped.

Can you please confirm the .Net Microservices Agent version that you are using to instrument the .Net 5 application? The .Net Microservices agent started supporting .Net 5 with agent version >21.10. Ref below link for details:
https://docs.appdynamics.com/21.10/en/application-monitoring/install-app-server-agents/net-agent/net... 

If you are using an older agent, could you kindly try upgrading to the latest 21.11 version of the agent and verify the behavior?

Thanks,

Ryan, Cisco AppDynamics Community Manager

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Check out Observabiity in Action

new deep dive videos weekly in the Knowledge Base.

Hi Ryan, 

I was using the latest, its a brand new solution.

Hi @Maximiliano.Guillen,

Just to confirm, you are using the latest version, and are still having the issue?

Thanks,

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.

Yes with the .net core agent from the nuget package yes, I was going to test the linux agent from step 2 but I'm changing scope for now

Hi @Maximiliano.Guillen,

I was chatting with some internal people and it's been suggested you contact support.

You can get to the Support Portal from here: https://www.appdynamics.com/support

Please do follow back up on this thread if a solution is reached with support.

Thanks,

@Maximiliano.Guillen - As your application is net 5 WebApi deployed in a docker linux container you will need to use the .Net agent on Linux as mentioned below:

https://docs.appdynamics.com/22.1/en/application-monitoring/install-app-server-agents/net-agent/net-...

Also kindly find below the below the inputs for 2 implementation you tried:

1. Install the .NET Core Microservices Agent for Windows 
    • [AppD-This will only work for .Net core application on Windows and as you are using WebApi deployed in a docker linux you will need to use the above link mentioned for .Net agent on Linux]
  2. .NET Core for Linux SDK 
    • [AppD-Thieir is no new work happeing on this as thier was some custom configruation requried to detect BTs etc so you will need to use the above link mentioned for .Net agent on Linux as this detects the BTs etc OOTB]

Let us know if you still face any issues.

Thanks for the help, I'll try this next, and re-open or create a support ticket later if necessary. 

Hi @Sarabjit.Tatra 

Is it mandatory for the linux files to be in opt/appdynamics/dotnet ? 
I could place them in what ever folder in the container and map the env variable, correct?

@Maximiliano.Guillen - Yes you can keep in any folder we just need to make sure all the AppD dlls are also present their.