cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raunak.Mohanty
AppDynamics Team (Retired)

Symptoms

The .NET Agent is not able to connect to the Controller, due to an incorrect account name and account access keys in the .NET Agent configuration.

Diagnosis

Symptom 1:

The following error message appears when using an SSL connection (port 8181/443):

Controller communication failed. Details: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
Please use certmgr.msc to add Controller Certification Authority certificate to
"Trusted Root Certification Authorities" at computer account (system) level.

NOTE: The SSL error is a red herring. The (401) Unauthorized piece of the message is important.

Symptom 2:

The following error message appears when using a non-SSL connection (port 8090/80):

Controller communication failed. Details: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

Solution

Verify the account credentials in the Controller UI using the following steps (applicable to v4.3):

1. Open AppDynamics Controller UI and log in as an administrator.
  2. Click on the gear icon in the top right corner of the Controller UI.
  3. Click on License, then Account.
  4. Note the value of "Name": it will act as value for Account Name within the Agent Configuration Tool.
  5. Note the value of "Access Key": it will act as value for Account Access Key within the Agent Configuration Tool.
  6. Click the Save button.
Comments
Miguel.Pedraza
Discoverer

It doesn't work that way

Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

Looking into this, @Miguel.Pedraza. In the meantime, feel free to amplify.

Claudia Landivar

Community Manager & Editor 

Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

Following up, @Miguel.Pedraza — I reached out to our .NET team and they didn't spot an error in the article. It would help if you could offer more detail about what is going wrong for you.

If you've subsequently resolved the issue, please do share the journey and the result!

Best,
Claudia Landivar
Community Manager & Editor 

Arby.Davis
Wanderer

Previous version of this comment was placed before handling via support case. However, the solution may be complicated by, or vary, based on use of Multi-Tenant Controller and/or License Rules.

There are different access keys and names.

If not checked Multi-Tenant Controller and entered correct "Name" (from controller UI>License>Account) and "Access Key" (from controller UI>License>Rules><app>), then result:

Please use certmgr.msc to add Controller Certification Authority certificate to
"Trusted Root Certification Authorities" at computer account (system) level.

If entered else incorrectly, error may also be:

Machine agent on host "<host>" is not authorized to report to this Controller. The host is not included in the server scope for license rule ""

Just providing additional clarity for those that may have similar issue, and solution doesn't quite fit!

Claudia.Landivar
Community Manager

Hi, @Arby.Davis! I'm not sure I know what you mean. Would you kindly clarify?

Thank you for sharing that clarification! You're right: very useful to the Community at-large.

-Claudia

Ayush.gupta
Explorer

Hey What should i put in Server(name/IP)?

Ayush.gupta
Explorer

I am running my application through IIS it's working fine, but it isn't connecting with the controller

I have followed the instruction given in .net agent installation video.

Version history
Last update:
‎04-27-2023 02:34 PM
Updated by: