cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWare - Monitoring Extension

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

We are looking to use the VMWare - Monitoring Extension

I need some clarification if this extension uses Vcenter or if host info needs to be captured in the config file for each VM and Host managed by Vcenter?
The documentation is not very clear on that or the specific permissions required for the user that does authentication.
See image below for reference.

What is the difference between the "host" in the servers section at the top of the config and the "host" in the hostconfig section further down. Which one do we use if our client's Vcenter is managing 200 Hosts?

config.ymlconfig.yml

6 REPLIES 6

Arun.Dasetty
AppDynamics Team

Hi Dietrich,

The first occurrence of attribute "host" in config.yml below could be used to configure address of the vCenter host.
 - displayName: ""
    host: ""
And the second occurrence of the "host" under hostConfig section like in below section is used to provide the hosts details hosted in vCenter.
hostConfig:
      - host: ""
        vms: ["*"]

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Hi Arun

Thanks for the input.
Do you know anything more about the permissions the user account requires that authenticates with vCenter?

Atyuha.Pal
AppDynamics Team

Hi Dietrich

It seems it needs admin/root-level permission.

Regards,Atyuha

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

Thanks for the input Arun and Atyuha.

I am marking this as solved as I got the answers I needed. Just waiting for the client to come back to me before we can proceed with the actual testing.

Dietrich 

Dietrich.Meier
Architect

Just updating this old post with the info that we never reached the implementation part of this extension because the client went another route. So my knowledge on this is about as extensive as the above posts. 

Cansel.OZCAN
Maker

Hi Deitrich,

first "host" after  "displayName" option defines VCenter's IP address

for example, if your vmcenter's service URL is like this below

https://vcenter.onotio.com

you need to define like this below

CanselOZCAN_0-1698265351655.png

If you want to monitor all VMhosts in this Vcenter (in your example you mention approx 200 VmHost ) and All VMs in these 200 VMhosts, your hostConfig section must be like this below.

CanselOZCAN_1-1698265444070.png

This means getting all VmHosts' metrics and all VMs' metrics which is under these 200 VmHost. But with this configuration based on your VMs and VmHost count, you need to increase "numberofThreads" Counts (for example 10-15 or 20) and machine agents agent max metrics value (default value is 450, too less for this kind of scenario)  

for 10000 metrics you need to install a machine agent with Java options below.

-Dappdynamics.agent.maxMetrics=10000 

to sum up I'm giving enough examples for your all hidden question below

This config yml gathering metrics from vcenter.onotio.com for 3 diferent Vm Host:

and also 

vm1.onotio.intra ' s VM metrics

vm2.onotio.infra' s VM metric

and all VMs' metrics from 10.1.15.7 VmHost.

If you need further help please feel free.

Thanks

Cansel 

CanselOZCAN_3-1698266245572.png