cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create users via CI-API

Frank.Breuer
Wanderer

Hello community,

I want to create a new user silently on OnPremise-AppDynamics-Controller by using the 'Create Central Identity User API' by using the command
curl -H "Content-Type: application/vnd.appd.cntrl+json;v=1" -X POST -d '{"email": "mynewuser@web.de", "security_provider_type": "INTERNAL", "displayName": "MyNewUser"}' -u appd_admin@customer1 https://myappd.controller.net:8181/controller/api/rbac/v1/ci-user

The response is the following:
Central identity user creation flag is not enabled.

The user I specify when issuing the command is the admin user created when the controller was installed.
This user got the following roles (requested with command api/rbac/v1/users/<id>
"roles":
"id": 17,"name": "Dashboard Viewer"
"id": 18,"name": "Workflow Executor"
"id": 20,"name": "DB Monitoring User"
"id": 23,"name": "Server Monitoring User"
"id": 25,"name": "Universal Agent User"
"id": 14,"name": "Account Administrator"
"id": 16,"name": "User"}],

On Controller Web-Gui this user includes several default roles like 'Account Owner'. Creation of new users is possible there.

With this user I'm able to create roles and groups via API but no users.

On the API docs there is the hint:
You must be the account owner or have the administer user permissions to use the Create Central Identity User API.
But this I am.

The Controller version is
AppDynamics Controller build 21.4.16-1589

The JDK is
openjdk version "1.8.0_322"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu 8.60.0.22-SA-linux64) (build 1.8.0_322-b06)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Zulu 8.60.0.22-SA-linux64) (build 25.322-b06, mixed mode)

The OS is
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.8 (Ootpa)

I'm grateful for any help.

1 REPLY 1

Hiroki.Ito
AppDynamics Team

Hello @Frank.Breuer ,

Thank you for posting to the community.

Create Central Identity User API is for creating Central Identity(CI) users which are available in SaaS controllers.
CI user is a type of user described in the article below, and we can't create CI users in OnPremise Controller.

Instead of using CI API, could you please use RBAC API to create users in the On-premise controller?

Best regards,
Hiroki

Found something helpful? Click the Accept as Solution button to help others find answers faster.
Liked something? Click the Thumbs Up button.